Trade In value at Dealer for new/near new car

Page 2 / 2
3tomany, Jan 6, 5:57am
sell it on here we have done very well doing that in the past just don't expect to much above trade price and it will sell for a small premium, you might get an extra $1000

3tomany, Jan 6, 5:59am
only the ones wanting to sleep in them want a wagon or van the rest just want a wof and rego to last as long as they are here

kazbanz, Jan 6, 6:03am
YEP that's been the case.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 6:07am
The backpackers I see around town all seem to want to get horizontal in their love wagons or vans. Don't see hatches choka fill with wet and soiled laundry. Even all the sh*t boxes on the notice boards in the supermarkets are wagons and vans just waiting for another hairy raising and possibly last lap of the country.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 6:12am
Everyone wants a shagged corolla on it's last leg!
Drove my brother in laws Camry wagon recently. Had 150,000km odd on the odo. Manual 2.2ltr. Made in NZ he told me - news to me! It drove nice especially considering it's age - late 1990's. Surprising car.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 6:13am
Do they abandon them at the airport?

vtecintegra, Jan 6, 6:27am
I'll bet there is enough value in this car that it won't appeal to backpackers.

kazbanz, Jan 6, 8:29am
mostly they pass them on to the next lot of backpackers or sell em as a wreck-if they pay $3000 and run the car for three months they have saved thousands in rental fees

xs1100, Jan 6, 8:33am
well offer THEM a warrenty then

jason18, Jan 6, 9:49am
I could see a market for young girl backpackers. Be perfect little hatch for them.

jason18, Jan 6, 9:51am
So sell on trade me if dealer doesn't offer you enough. Remember they are in business so won't give you huge money for a car they will then have to fully back/warrenty for the next buyer.

nesta129, Jan 6, 10:39am
compare it to a Peugeot 206 with full leather interior,manual, with no damage on the body,full service history with cambelt recently done,ks were 106,000kms. traded in for $1800.Basically a mint condition car.
Traded in for a nissan march!

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 11:24am
It's a 12 year old 200,000kms car. That's the kind of car you expect to get $1000-3000 from a dealer anyway. There's no money in it for them, they might get lucky and put it on the yard for $4-5k and have it sit for a few months until someone who knows what it is comes along and picks it up, but then they would be expecting a warranty for it to last for a 'reasonable period of time'. and for a 12 year old Renault that would be. ?

A dealer is going to want to get rid of quick, possibly send straight to the auctions. To me top dollar on that car right now would be $3500-4000 anyway. There is a guy who posts on here as 'sw20' and I'm sure he had a similar aged Clio 172 that he was selling a few years back, I guess back then it was a less than 10 year old car. He was asking around $8000 for it and it sold fairly quickly and close to his asking price I believe.

Personally I would just sell the car privately then take the money to the dealer to buy the new car.

lookoutas, Jan 6, 7:57pm
Has someone shot jazz?

I though he'd want to buy it, and then suggest buying another cheapaz s. box.

kdcentralni, Jan 6, 7:58pm
Agree sell the car yourself, if you make it someone else's problem to dispose of it you will pay a "fee". Like selling a house use an agent and pay or sell it yourself, unless you sell direct to end user you will take a hit seems logical really, can't get why the public don't see that.

3tomany, Jan 6, 8:04pm
if looking to find a price point. Only watchlist cars that meet reserve as cars that don't sell are probably to expensive, listed by dreamers

ema1, Jan 6, 8:30pm
Leverage . Mmmmm now that's a good and very apt word indeed. you'll need some?

mcscottwgtn, Jan 7, 5:02am
Good spotting. Looks like someone got a bargain. Only serviced twice over it's nine years off existence! Did look in top nick apart from ignoring the servicing.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 7, 5:06am
$2,300 offered for what is effectively just a means of transport - like the new one. Both do the same function. The older one is just a bit closer to it's imminent crushing.
The money wouldn't even cover the 'leather' option on the new motor!
Kind of funny.

supernova2, Jan 7, 5:19am
Nah Jazz dosen't do french - well at least not Reanults. I buy Renaults and I wouldn't pay as much as OP has been offered

It's a fact of living n NZ that Renault parts are just toooooo expensive. Some bits are available aftermarket but most is only OE.

TM today has 146 Citroens, 625 Peugeots and 146 Renaults. Hell there is even 275 Ssangyongs. That shows how popular Renaults aren't

mcscottwgtn, Mar 15, 6:37pm
Popular is not everything.
Not everyone wishes to drive a white corolla - except maybe tourists.
Imagine trying to find your motor in the carpark!