Trade In value at Dealer for new/near new car

Page 1 / 2
mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 4:35am
Partner is looking at upgrading. First trade in offer from a dealer was $2,300 for her Renault Clio 172 Sport 2003 with 197,000km, 2 owners, clean with full service history. Seemed low (wouldn't even cover a leather upgrade!) considering the car should make 250,000km which could be about four years of motoring. Are older cars like this valued on it's remaining life? It's not even old enough to be average for NZ. Their are no old clio sports on TradeMe at present.

jason18, Jan 6, 4:38am
Sounds about right. They will send it down to auctions most likely and sell it.

a.woodrow, Jan 6, 4:42am
A euro with high mileage? They probably don't want to trade it at all, and are only doing so to make the sale. Price offered seems fair considering. Sell it privately you might get a little bit more

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 4:43am
They don't want it - as not their thing for that dealership - wrong country.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 4:44am
I think the the car should make 250,000km no problem.

jmma, Jan 6, 4:49am
Just got to do a big service, maybe $2k should cover that.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 4:59am
Car is all up to date. Service doesn't cost that much. I guess the new owner probably wont service it and just drive it into the ground. It might get lucky and get some oil.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:00am
My year old Hyundai petrol got it's first service, $300 +. Hardly call that cheap for oil and filter basically.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:03am
They might crush it for $5,000

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:08am
Just did a trademe search for local motors up to $3,000
Most expensive first - Vectra 2002 auto 140km @ $5,000!
then some used jap import bangers from the 1990's
Yuk - all rubbish!

jmma, Jan 6, 5:09am
I like this bit in a Service blog I looked at for this car.
They don't expect to get 150,000 out of them Lol (o:

Coolant changed every 4 yrs or 72k whichever is earlier. (£60 or so from Renault)
Fuel filter changed ever 150k (find me a car having done this mileage first, but its not much probably £60 to be done at Renault)

jmma, Jan 6, 5:11am
Up to $3k
Most expensive $5k
Something don't add up (o:
Please don't knock the 90's jappas, mine might hear you (o:

cheapy11, Jan 6, 5:15am
Welcome to the world of owning a Euro! What would a 2003 Corolla with 197km be worth? i would think around the $5-$6k mark. Older Euro cars are just undesirable by most.
I would also be interested to know what your partner is looking to upgrade to after the Reno

kazbanz, Jan 6, 5:17am
Ok matey --you know I aint gonna feed ya bullpucky right?
truth is her car scares the beejeebers out of car dealers.
1)they are pretty darn hard to sell
2) They have a reputation for VERY expensive repairs
In the "old days" (last year) none of that was an issue because we could sell the car at auction and if a buyer was prepared to take the risk then hey they stand to get a bargain. Common sense prevailed.
nowadays unless sold specifically for dismantling purposes the CGA applies to any car sold by a dealer by any means.
Personally unless the wife NEEDS to trade the car in to make the deal work then I would do a cash deal or 100% finance deal --if finance do it on the clear understanding you will make 1x big payment when the car sells--and wiith no penalty applied.

jason18, Jan 6, 5:19am
Oh crap. So you guys can't send to turners or an auction place and just sell off for what ever it sells for. That's pretty crap.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:22am
Possible Fiesta ST, Toyota 86 - not sure - need to get her in the drivers seat. She has only tested one car to date (Honda Jazz RS). The RS makes me laugh having done quite a bit of mileage in a 911 gt3 rs. I thought the Jazz was a tad loud without even pushing it over 3,000rpm. It was an ok car. We drove the manual, latest model.

jmma, Jan 6, 5:22am
I'm still here! Safety is over rated any way, look at Xmas holidays for example.

vtecintegra, Jan 6, 5:26am
That Clio is still a nice little car - makes sense to sell it privately.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:27am
I was thinking of getting all the values the dealers give, and then use the highest one as leverage to get the best deal. Probably end up putting it on trademe. It's a good car, just nearing the end of it's economic life. If this car is nearing the end of it's economic life and not even average age for the NZ fleet - makes you wonder what intergalactic readings are on some peoples odo's!

kazbanz, Jan 6, 5:28am
OHH YEA-- we can send a car to ##urners. We can do $0.00 reserve auction.But when the car squats turners step to one side say "nahh not our problem" --and pass the lube to the customer to . -ohh you get the point.
Turners do run damaged/end of life auctions. but again no actual protection for the dealer.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:28am
We are not taught how to handle our car - hence we crash like monkeys on acid. What do they expect from us?

kazbanz, Jan 6, 5:33am
Its the specifics of that model.
My honest advise to you is if she has alternate transport put an advert in all the local backpackers. European backpackers will love the fact its a make and model they are familiar with

vtecintegra, Jan 6, 5:35am
I don't think it is a good fit for backpackers especially given it is the performance version.

mcscottwgtn, Jan 6, 5:41am
Backpackers 'love' wagons and vans. not small hatches

kazbanz, Jan 6, 5:51am
Darn it-I guess the five cheapies I sold in the last two weeks to backpackers was a fluke. sedans and HB's --they want cheap transport--not all want to freedom camp