Vehicle bought from dealer and the CGA.

grangies, Jul 31, 2:24am
Hi there. Just a query for a customer I have.

She bought her van in to me for insurance purposes to repair a dent an paint gouges. So I got all that done for her, and she then asked me to have a look around and inspect a few surface rust areas that are beginning to appear.

I have ground one area back on the upper A-Pillar only to find it's full of bog/filler over rust holes on the pillar itself and the roof gutter.

The van has been recently fully repainted (less than 6 months ago IMO) and upon closer inspection, I can see it's about to blow out in rust bubbles , here, there, and everywhere.

It's an ex-ambulance that was purchased in March from a motor vehicle dealer.

I can tell it's just been bogged and painted, but how can this be proved that the dealer had this done for resale purposes to make it look shiny and clean?

Cheers.

jgoater, Jul 31, 2:38am
The law doesn't say an old vehicle cannot be bogged and repainted.
If it is not up to WOF standard, then that is another issue.

attitudedesignz, Jul 31, 2:40am
What I'd do is do some digging as to what paint panel shops the dealer uses and make some discreet enquiries bout said van.

bwg11, Jul 31, 2:40am
I can see a can of worms opening here. If the paint job was commissioned by the dealer, surely he will be straight onto the panel shop as the CGA applies to services as well as goods.

attitudedesignz, Jul 31, 2:42am
The 'rust in A pillar' is the giveaway here I think.

shaun16, Jul 31, 2:45am
how do you know the dealer had it done and not the person that sold/traded it to the dealer?

grangies, Jul 31, 2:47am
Stand by a few minutes and I'll get a photo uploaded.

The photo will show easy evidence to anyone in the panel and paint game, that it's a fresh bog job.

grangies, Jul 31, 2:57am
The blue stuff in the photo is bog. This is just one part of the vehicle that was starting to bubble under the recent paint work that has been carried out.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/400725113.jpg

grangies, Jul 31, 3:00am
It was purchase in the South Island , a long way from where we are LOL.

tintop, Jul 31, 5:33am
Why do that? It looks like it would fail a warrant.

Check with a WOF inspector to be certain, the owner then should contact the seller and ask what the seller intends to do.

The van was purchased on the understanding that it would be suitable for the purpose the buyer intended - with rust to an extent that it cannot pass a WOF test, and the rust was like that at the time of sale then the van was clearly not suitable for use as intended.

I think it would be unwise at this stage to any more exploration of the van.

The owner had a legitimate reason to bring the van in for a paint touch up, doing more than what you have already done at this stage only complicates things.

It is on the seller to arrange for the van to be returned.

kazbanz, Jul 31, 6:04am
grangies Im shuddering thinking about this one.
The problem is that there are several possibilities with that situation.
1) The dealer is a dodgy bugger and commissioned a quick poo up and flick to sell the van. Not expecting the buyer to have an accident so soon.
2)the Dealer traded a nice shiney looking van probably with a new WOF and really hasn't a clue. In fairness you had to grind to find the issue so a few months back it probably looked mint.
3) The dealer traded the vehicle in rusty condition and paid a panelbeater to fix it properly--but the panelbeater did a boogie job.
Keep in mind that the WOF inspection is non invasive.
You can see the can o worms.

grangies, Jul 31, 6:37am
Can o worms alright.

She has forked out $12,000 on a rusty pile of crap that some bastard has repainted for the sole purpose of covering all the dodgy bits.

The bloody thing is a right off. I have told her I wont touch the thing, as once I found the A pillar and front of the guttering rusting under the paint, went over the entire van and it's EVERYWHERE upon close inspection.

Being an ex-ambulance, it has a fibreglass roof and fully lined fiberglass walled interior. So any welding on the exterior sheetmetal is totally out of the question, as there is no way to place a heatshield in the insides.

This is the kind on vehicle that should have been scrapped once the rust was at the point where even a small amount of welding was required, but some mongrel has bogged it and put shit paint over it.

There owner has found a photo of it before it was painted, at Turners Auctions, and the photo clearly show's its rough condition.

The dealer told her it only needed repainting because of the marks left from the Ambulance sign-writing LOL. FFS.

saxman99, Jul 31, 6:43am
What breed of vehicle is this OP? Just for interests' sake.

grangies, Jul 31, 6:46am
Ford Transit.

grangies, Jul 31, 6:49am

gunhand, Jul 31, 7:10am
Yes messy business this one. So many people involved who will all know nothing about or tell a different story from each other. If the work was done prior to a WOF or COF then they wouldn't pick it up, or could do little about it even if it looked odd but was smooth and shiny at that stage. If It required work for WOF or COF then some photos or a viewing SHOULD have taken place, but we all know that they just trust the beater to do it right. Who commissioned what will be hard to find.
The owner should have some comeback surely to God.
How long ago was it an ambulance? and I guess turners sold it from that life. To whom would be first port of call. From there it shouldn't be hard.
Beater (bogger) won't want a bar of it unless you can prove something. But I think the dealer would be first port of call as thats where vehicle was purchased. If he wants to blame someone and seek compensation then its up to him once the current owner is compensated by him first.
SOMEONE knows how it came about for sure.

tony9, Dec 7, 5:31pm
This. Quite simply, the buyer should contact the seller and ask for the vehicle to be made fit for purpose or money back.

If it was me, I would take it for a wof first and make sure it is flagged in the system as having structural damage. The failed wof sheet would be good evidence for the seller.

Don't worry about the background, not the buyers concern.