Oddmeter Windback Rife by Car Dealers?

Page 1 / 3
emerald9, Jul 4, 5:52am
Is it common practice for Car Dealers to wind back Oddmeters? I am looking at upgrading my car which is a Mazda Demio DY 1.3 2004 automatic and I noticed that every oddmeter reading on dealer cars are substantially lower than cars being sold by private sellers which seems a bit sus.
Comments?

toyboy3, Jul 4, 5:57am
There is a difference between quality and quantity

stevo2, Jul 4, 5:58am
What century are you from?
Very rare these days. More likely to happen from the private seller looking for a few more $$$ or VERY common avoiding RUC if diesel

emerald9, Jul 4, 6:00am
What a dumb comment.

emerald9, Jul 4, 6:05am
You very obviously must be one of them. lol.

emerald9, Jul 4, 6:06am
Why don't you have a look for yourself starting with Trade Me.

jmma, Jul 4, 6:06am
Seems odd alright (o:

emerald9, Jul 4, 6:08am
Is it common practice for Car Dealers to wind back Oddmeters? I am looking at upgrading my car, a Mazda Demio DY 1.3 2004 automatic and I noticed that every dealer car oddmeter reading is substantially lower than cars being sold by private sellers which seems a bit sus. If you don't believe me you just need to look on Trade Me.
Comments?

franken1, Jul 4, 6:08am
What's an oddmeter.

emerald9, Jul 4, 6:25am
Oops. Odometer. !

tweake, Jul 4, 6:27am
winding back odometers used to be common years ago. however not as much now because of mileage being recorded and history available to the consumer.

a good example was customer who got a little suspect of the dealer on a 4x4 they bought. got the history from japan etc. turns out between being released from the ports and the dealers yard, the odometer went back 100,000kms.
dealer was prosecuted, fined and had to pay them the difference in value.

pandai, Jul 4, 6:30am
They're just buying cars that haven't travelled as much.

gunhand, Jul 4, 6:33am
Yep, there will be millions in lost tax due to many a diesel with a switch.
Should be a target issue for Police, although not sure how they would prevent said switches being flicked when pulled over. But I'm sure more than a few would be that used to not having it working they would forget.

lookoutas, Jul 4, 6:35am
That means you can do every odd one. Or two.

As mentioned above - The risk is too great, as it's so easy to check now.
Best bet is to choose your dealers carefully. Eh kaz

gammelvind, Jul 4, 6:41am
Really think it is time RUC for light diesel vehicles be included in the price of the fuel eliminating the need to dodge RUC's based on mileage. The charges for heavier vehicles could easily be reduced accordingly and off road and marine simply claim the RUC component back.

intrade, Jul 4, 7:01am
actuarly odometer tempering on new diesel is easy spotted for example on a mercedes cdi 270 the odometer reading is in the instrument cluster its in the engine ecu and it is also in the infrared ignition lock module.
so tempering with that milage would require reprogramming of all 3 places to match the readings , they can variate a bit between each other over its live span bete never more then 20% difference if its over 20% different between all 3 then tempeering can be proofen.
So it depends on vehicle how it stores the milages .

robotnik, Jul 4, 7:09am
That's just great, more than likely it would mean a lot of paper work and hassle for off-road and marine diesel users to get their money back from the govt. No thanks.

mm12345, Jul 4, 7:13am
It's actually not that easy. You could fill the 500 litre tank for central heating with diesel, claim all the RUC back, and run a small diesel car for a year paying no RUC at all. Better still, keep getting it filled and sell cheap fuel to your mates.
If it can be rorted - it probably will be.

sr2, Jul 4, 7:22am
Not quite true there Intrade mate; there are relatively easy ways of tampering with the information on the way in that results in all data bases in the ECU receiving the same erroneous information.
In my experience those that would have the electronic ability to do it are not interested in the "nickel and dime" savings you can get from cheating with your diesel tax.
The only diesel mileage tampering I've encountered has been obviously rudimentary and blatant!

skin1235, Jul 4, 7:44am
lol, an ex boss had been onto me for ages to disconnect the speedo on his new Pajero so his 40k per ann wouldn't show on its resale history, value

He was away for the week, several hundred miles over the other side of the island with mates,and did a bit of offroad work, rang me at 6pm Friday night to say he was in Gisborne and the vehicle would not go into top gear, all I could do was tell him it was going to be a long drive home, and likely to be expensive on fuel too

He arrived home about 6.30 in the morning, drove that poor thing all the way from gissy to waverley at about 4500 rpm, about 55km/hr, was not a happy chappy
was even more unhappy when I slid half under the vehicle and plugged the speedo wiring back into the gearbox, told him to drive down the road and check it - it now had all gears

He never asked me to play with a speedo again after that

sr2, Jul 4, 7:55am
Brilliant!
Some years ago I was looking at a Hiace (for a 3rd party); when I commented to the vendor that the speedo didn't work he apologised for forgetting to "reconnect it". The mind boggles!

franc123, Jul 4, 7:59am
Lol, I'd have to agree with you there, those trying to cheat the system appear not to be in the upper quartile of the nations collective IQ, and certainly ain't electronics gurus.

carstauranga001, Jul 4, 8:14am
No, more like an ignorant question.

carstauranga001, Jul 4, 8:16am
Are you blond?

bashfulbro, Jul 4, 8:27am
My business partner traded in a 1988 Navara, 2.4 Ltr petrol ,we had paid it off over 24 months, in that short time it had clocked up over 250,000 kms. but apart from high milage,was still in top condition and looked smart.
I saw it in another dealership, two weeks later, the bonnet, stone chips re-sprayed, looked a million bucks.
Out of interest, i had a look, . hello, it had under 50,000 kms on the clock.
Armed with all the proof, service records etc,we went to LMVD association,
Turned out, in two weeks, it had been resold twice, with no record of sales, the dealer we traded it to, on sold it to a wholesaler, someone threw the old speedo out and put another one in (they said the odo was broken so they replaced it), the broken one disappeared they then sold it at auction.
The dealer who bought it at auction, then had it for sale,was as pissed off as we were.
The end result was ,LMVD assoc., told us that the 1st dealer lost his dealer licence, and was shut down. the funny part was, a week after the verdict, the same yard was still operating,full of the the same cars, with the same salesmen, under a new name, absolutely nothing had changed ,except the sign.