Oddmeter Windback Rife by Car Dealers?

Page 2 / 3
tamarillo, Jul 4, 9:06am
I couldn't resist googling this one!
http://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-hot-selling-unlocked-version-odometer/125977185.html#s1-0-1b|4025549694

I work on basis that if the mileage is true there would be its Japanese books and service records with it, if they're not there, I assume it's bullshit. Have walked away from couple of cars based on that.

bjmh, Jul 4, 7:17pm
O.P . I doubt very much if any reputable dealers in N.Z could be bothered with the hassle.As for the N.Z public that's another story.

3tomany, Jul 4, 10:29pm
I think it is just dealers prefer to stock good low km cars as a preference

tweake, Jul 4, 10:33pm
i did see a ute with over 200,000km on the clock and ruc for 1000km. they never bought any mileage from day one. i bet they will be keen to wind it back.
i would hate to get the fine for that far over your ruc.
whats the fine these days, 2x or 3x what you owe on ruc ?

oliver6, Jul 4, 11:45pm
I doubt if dealers do that. Unless the vehicle was 1 owner with big kms it would be pointless as well as being illegal.
The kms are recorded at each ownership change.
I think it is mainly still private sellers who would do that.

pauloc, Jul 4, 11:56pm
So 25 years ago? Great story not that relevant now. There hasn't been an LMVD for over a decade now.

franc123, Jul 5, 12:20am
That used to be the case many years ago but not now, kms are recorded at WOF entry not at registered ownership change.

ianab, Jul 5, 2:56am
And that info is available to car dealers when they look up a vehicles details on the LTSA system.

So while it might be possible to disable the odo and not record some Ks, if you loose too many it becomes pretty obvious. If it had 150K on the clock, then next year it had 100K it would look pretty dodgy.

marmar1, Jul 5, 4:10am
Can you look up the history on a jap import ? .

lookoutas, Jul 5, 4:25am
The one part of the Jap language that we can understand is numbers. So if you have the service data and the time to practice some Braille, you can determine how many K's have been clocked up between services/dates. Then jiggle them around to fit a determined pattern.

tamarillo, Jul 5, 4:26am
Thank you marmar1. This is exactly the point as majority of stock are new imports. I'm told that the milages are recorded in Japan, so why don't dealers get these records and get them translated? I think it's naive to trust milages on an import with no paperwork to back it up.

tgray, Jul 5, 7:51am
OP, your post is 20 years too late.

emerald9, Jul 5, 9:27pm
Are you Car Dealer!

emerald9, Jul 5, 9:31pm
Well put. And exactly the point of my post. Cheers!

smallwoods, Jul 5, 9:55pm
Jap imports are validated at export, some cars are rewound prior to export in their home country.

smallwoods, Jul 5, 9:58pm
You can do this with petrol now (I think) and claim it for chainsaw use, lawn mower etc and get the fuel taxes back.
If you can be bothered with the paper work.

grangies, Jul 5, 10:37pm
That must have been a while back. Because these days when the WOF inspector lodges your WOF with the NZTA, the K's are recorded and cross referenced. If it shows your K's are higher than your vehicles current RUC's , the NZTA will send you an invoice in the mail.

beno, Jul 5, 11:03pm
OMG I cant believe some of you are so naive. To think that dealers don't buy cars with mileage wound back is foolish. Its the same as saying dealers don't shill bid any more. heaps of them are doing it. The two common ways are 1) plug in odometer reset tool or, 2) re programme the 6 pin chip on the instrument cluster. a 30 minute job max. they are done in Japan before coming here. The AA verified odometer company does not remove the instrument cluster to check the solder on the mileage chip. here's an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6SlyVE4zQ&index=2&list=PL5_FZW46DeK00Smb2YSvPUAduCM88kruJ

brapbrap8, Jul 5, 11:49pm
Of course if you get a good pre purchase inspection done, your mechanic would be quick to point out that a vehicle looks like it has done more like 250k than 25k, if it is not obvious to you on the car yard.

tweake, Jul 6, 12:00am
a few years back. hopefully they have changed their system.
but the owners might have been ignoring it, run the risk of getting caught.
i don't know if they would prosecute based on that or need to be actually caught driving the vehicle.

tweake, Jul 6, 12:07am
don't forget Japanese keep fairly good records as well.
the one i mentioned before they got all the service records from japan which showed it was original km's until it was delivered to the sale yard.

they can easily change it, if they have the tools etc but they can't change the recorded history of the vehicle.

one thing that car owners sometimes do is repeatedly change the odometer reading every 6 months so it only shows half of what they do. so it just looks like they don't drive it a lot.

theo35, Jul 6, 4:51am
Look at the wear on the steering wheel; if it looks like too much for the kms then something's not right ;-)

tweake, Jul 6, 5:59am
yes/no
the cars get clean up and a lot of the worn items will get replaced.
sometimes its a case of noticing that there is no wear at all.

fordcrzy, Jul 6, 8:08pm
we bought a toyota in 2011 and if it hasnt had the speedo wound back i'll eat my hat. apparently done 86,000kms but it drives like 268,000, CV's shot at 95,000 steering rack at 110k gearbox now on the way out. engine mounts stuffed, all fluids changed when we bought it and were all good and clean so had service history not neglected

tgray, Mar 17, 12:01am
I have driven cars with 50,000k's that drive terrible and ones with 300,000k that drive like a new car. Don't just presume it has been wound back. Still highly likely it is not the case.