Helpful police?

Page 1 / 2
countrypete, Jan 26, 4:02am

a.woodrow, Jan 26, 4:56am
Now that they can fine for drink driving they had to make sure that errant police that actually wanted to help people would not affect their income streams. They would rather catch the drunk and fine them then let people know whether or not they are safe to drive

skiff1, Jan 26, 5:55am
Or you could actually read the very reasonable explanation in the story.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 6:32am
Yeah, it doesn't fit in with their "everything is black or white" policy, so once again public service, courtesy and safety has to take a back seat. Because it doesn't matter if people die, so long as blame can be laid in line with their current agenda and supporting propaganda. Under no circumstances can they blame themselves.

It's much the same as when I rang up to ask the local station to note that I would be driving an unregistered vehicle to a testing station at a particular day/time. Instead of a reasonable response I got ranted at, told what I was doing was illegal (it isn't) and under no circumstance would they be making such a note.

Let's waive good bye to the last remnants of common sense safety and community focused Policing.

countrypete, Jan 26, 7:16am
Yes, I did read that. While I am generally supportive of the police, and certainly of the job they do, in this instance they are simply "copping out" of the chance to do some good. The police who were providing screening were (according to the article) explaining clearly the limitations of doing a one-off test at a particular point in time.

It's the same as the commerce commission - they have the authority to take action against an advertiser if an ad is deemed to be misleading, but an advertiser cannot submit a proposed ad and ask if it's acceptable.

It's arse covering, pure and simple

It would be useful to be able to be tested as a guideline after a drink or two to see how much alcohol is in one's system, but no, butt-covering over-rides common sense, and a service oriented attitude. Shame really.

msigg, Jan 26, 7:20am
Yes skiff1 is correct. They are not a laboratory to do testing on everyone. Personal responsibility, If pulled up they will say yea but I tested ok at the station sir. If anyone should have a free machine it should be where you buy the booze. Simple. There's some dumb people around.

countrypete, Jan 26, 7:30am
Nah, you're missing the point. Here's some local coppers being co-operative and aiding people to make a decision NOT to drive, and being told by head office to stop doing it. Shame really.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 8:07am
Hang on. what is the Police's supposed mission statement?
Safer Communities TOGETHER.

If people taking responsibility and wanting to check they are below the limit with the aid of Police BEFORE they take the wheel, isn't "Safer Communities Together" then I don't know what is.

hrt, Jan 26, 8:14am
Their safety message is that any alcohol at all will influence your ability to drive. Any alcohol then you shouldn't be driving, which is exactly what they're telling people.

lissa25, Jan 26, 8:28am
Shame the NP guys got told off for assisting their community. A more robust approach I believe, would be to follow the Scandinavian example and have coin operated breathalizers in places that serve alcohol, drop in 50 cents and out pops a new straw to blow into the wall mounted machine. Personally I will drive on one standard drink, anything more and I make other plans before hand.

smac, Jan 26, 8:30am
Coming home tonight I came up behind a cop on the straights heading from Norsewood to Takapau. Cruise control was on an actual speed (as opposed to indicated) of about 104. Gained steadily on highway patrol car (maybe 5kph differential), and I didn't touch cruise just to see what would happen.
Just when I was about to flick the cruise off to slow up (oncoming traffic otherwise I would have passed) he indicated, pulled over, I passed, he pulled back on and we carried on as before.
I guess I must have imagined the whole thing.

lissa25, Jan 26, 8:37am
Wow smac, a driver who pulled left to let faster traffic through! I experienced 6 or 7 of them today in the mini, I was most impressed at the general consideration, I pulled left for 2 quicker vehicles myself. All in all a rather pleasant day of motoring. Who would have thought that a cop would be a considerate fellow road user?

bumfacingdown, Jan 26, 9:00am
And what of the scenario described above, tested, no fail, drive afterwards and crash. All with the clear knowledge they past the screening test at the station. What would the comments be then because I bet your sweet apples it would be the Police fault.

ps. There is a fair chance if you need to ask you probably should not be driving

headcat, Jan 26, 9:02am
Stop a mate driving drunk - Legend! . Guess they just blew that ad campaign out of the water.

nukhelenc, Jan 26, 9:30am
Years ago i asked a police man for a breath test in Qtown, so i would know if i could drive home in the morning, or not.
He was an ass
Didn't test me, Didn't want 2
But i bet ya he would have while i was driving out on the main road,
If you ask them to do so then they dam well should i think.
Or its all about the money and the cops worth as to what they can collect.
All kiwis should inundate the police station to find out :) b4 they turn the key on the lower limit.
Make em work for the money

smac, Jan 26, 7:48pm
I don't know for sure, but I'm GUESSing that it has more to do with the fact that if the Police are seen to be openly testing people "to see if they're ok", this is not encouraging intelligent decision making about drinking and driving. It could be (and therefore will be by some people) seen to be encouraging people to drink "a bit, but not too much".

The whole POINT of the new limit is that if you are not sure, don't. And don't rely on some third party to validate your decisions.

esky-tastic, Jan 26, 8:27pm
I'm curious, if it's legal why did you even phone them?

esky-tastic, Jan 26, 8:33pm
You DID read the reason they gave for stopping those tests, didn't you?

And I would be pissed-off to know my tax-payers dollars were getting squandered on the wages of a cop sitting at the public counter of a copshop just to test any numpty who walked off the street to be breath tested, crikey, the cop wouldn't even know if they were actually going to drive, could drive or had a car even, you would get all sorts walking in and say "I want a test".

But I guess you thought of that too?

loose.unit8, Jan 26, 8:33pm
That's not what the law says

loose.unit8, Jan 26, 8:37pm
And what about if they went through a booze testing station, no fail, continue to drive afterwards and crash? The reality is that it's an instantaneous test and not doing some good by testing people before they drive because of that is just trying to hide behind a silly argument.

Responsible people want to ask because the new limit is such an unknown

flitt, Jan 26, 9:12pm
I suppose the only responsible thing left to do, for those responsible people, would be to not drink any alcohol before driving(!) That would be even more responsible than pushing the limits of their alcohol consumption before driving, as they previously were, (by not really monitoring their consumption - but staggering off to the police station when they were ready to drive - for a roulette wheel test). If they are really responsible, they will have no problem with this - they are increasing their personal levels of responsibility.

nukhelenc, Jan 26, 9:29pm
The law states the limit so you can drink till the limit, its the law, and untill the law changes again then its what you must obey. Not going over.
Its an ass anyway coz it will never stop the hard core drink drivers that will drink till well over.
I use to know about how many i could have, now i don't under the new law.
So i would think i was being reasonable if a cop was close by if i was to ask to be tested.
Its now a gamble that the law has changed.
If they don't want people having a few then they should have made it zero tolerance like the stupid speed limit.
Then i would know its NO nun nudda nil zip lol

flitt, Jan 26, 9:39pm
You seem to miss my point. My point is not that people should never again have a drink before driving. My point is that there is more than one way to ensure you are under the limit - without needing a cop to verify it for you.

People who have finished a night's drinking and then wondering if they are under the limit - and sort of demanding the right for a cop to tell them if they are ok or not - DO NOT really sound very responsible to me. They are not as responsible as one could be - so singing that 'i am responsible - i demand a breath test' song does not wash with me.

nukhelenc, Jan 26, 10:54pm
My point is if the cop is handy then why not. :)

flitt, Jan 27, 12:39am
I suppose I might have mistaken your previous post here as a response to mine above it.

If your point is only that quoted, what are your reactions to the reasons given by the police as to 'why not'? (They have already stated why not.)