BMW jolted my baby after going to bmw service cent

Page 2 / 8
cheviot, Jul 28, 11:27am
I can't see how the screaming and crying didn't fix it.

trouser, Jul 28, 11:41am
I'm thinking bmw x5 with airbag suspension. It's not entirely unusual for that to happen. The child got a big fright. They will survive.

saxman99, Jul 28, 11:41am
I've owned 6 of various types and specs, done a huge amount of distance in them and I can safely say I have no idea what the OP is on about.

lisaka, Jul 28, 12:16pm
She drove over juder bars. Which people do daily.
This model has been recalled by bmw for faulty airbags. But when i was getting repairs done they said they dont have the parts but will call me when they do.
One of the main points here is i asked twice if the car is safe to drive as its been recalled.
The answer from them was yes we done a check over the car and noticed your radiator has a small leak.
But everything else is fine and you are all good to go.

skull, Jul 28, 12:25pm
As I understand it the air bag fault is nothing at all to do with them firing off unexpectedly. It's to do with flying debris being an extremely remote possibility when they fire off under circumstances when they would be expected to fire off. I think the height of the judder bar and speed the car was going are likely to be the cause of the accident.

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 12:30pm
Just because it's an SUV (assuming it is an SUV, same obviously applies if it's a car) doesn't mean you can go bombing over speed bumps like you would in an old LandCruiser.

Modern stuff like the X5 is based on a car chassis and handles extremely well on the road but isn't meant to take abuse

db.price, Jul 28, 12:45pm
OP no one understands how the airbag issue relates to suspension! Pretty simple.

I would suggest your daughter went over the judder bars way to quickly.

billyfieldman, Jul 28, 1:40pm
It looks like the OP is referring to this part.

It suggested that the BMW mechanic checked the entire car, in addition to the airbags. That was how the mechanic noticed the radiator leak. By saying "everything else is fine" means no other problems noticed?

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 1:41pm
Sounds like there weren't any other problems until the car was driven over the judder bar

sw20, Jul 28, 4:02pm
Like pulling teeth.

tamarillo, Jul 28, 4:19pm
Yes except op does not know they have teeth. I sense op has no idea what an airbag is, doesn't know what model it is, whether it has air suspension, and that it's not possible that a safety airbag recall is unrelated to air suspension (I'd that's what is the problem).
Give in I say.

serf407, Jul 28, 4:29pm
SRS Takata airbag recall covers quite a few years and models of BMW
http://response.bmw.co.nz/airbagrecall

trouser, Jul 28, 6:45pm
She means the suspension airbags. Used instead of springs on a lot of cars these days.

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 6:58pm
I doubt it given a recall was mentioned

serf407, Jul 28, 7:05pm
Appears there is an X5 etc front suspension - recall/ inspection due in August - USA bmws.
Recall Number
18V439000
Recall Date
06/28/2018
Component
SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER ARM
Summary
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2018 BMW X5 xDrive35i, X5 xDrive50i, X5 xDrive35d, and X6 sDrive35i vehicles. The pivot bolt on the front lower-left control arm may not have been properly hardened, which may cause the control arm to break.

Consequence
If the lower control arm breaks, vehicle handling and control can be affected, increasing the risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the lower-left control arms and replace if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 20, 2018. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.
--------
Wonder if some faults are dealt with in nz by technical service bulletins rather than nz govt etc recalls in NZ?
Is the TA referring to a burst suspension air bag?
air bag to coil spring conversion
https://youtu.be/Ak8A9luwNIk

vtecintegra, Jul 28, 7:25pm
Could be wrong but I doubt the car in question is a 2018 model.

Much more likely it's the Takata recall and the suspension thing is completely unrelated.

pacewaikato, Jul 28, 8:55pm
I was quoted $1800 to fix oil leaks on daughters mini from bmw
I was out of area so couldn’t check for myself
Local garage put hose back on PCV with no charge
Oil leaks stopped
“Proper service agent”
Pffft

franc123, Jul 29, 1:36am
Not plausible it itself sorry, there must be more to that story. If PCV line was "off" it must have been running like a haunted outhouse, not just leaking oil.

supernova2, Jul 29, 10:53am
I see the link between the suspension and air bag recall. OP thinks that a car with air suspension is the SRS airbag. says it all really.

toenail, Jul 29, 5:35pm
don't worry, there will be plenty more things to break down. Soon, you'll learn more about cars and BMW's in general. Take this as a positive learning experience.

At least your BMW didn't catch fire

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5049045/BMW-recalls-one-million-luxury-cars-fire-fears.html

gph1961, Jul 29, 9:45pm
oh the horror

richardmayes, Jul 30, 5:55pm
That's an unusual fault and you really need to tell the experts on here EXACTLY what model and type of BMW this is if you want to have any chance of getting a useful opinion. E.g. is it a 2003 X5 3.0, or is it a 2014 330ci, or is it a 1982 320i?

"Suspension dropped completely" could mean 1 of 2 things:

1) Air suspension suddenly dropped to a lower setting. Most cars don't have air suspension but some flash ones do, that is why you are being asked over and over again to tell us what model of BMW it is. (If it has aftermarket "air bag" suspension installed by Bling Bling Tints and Turbos Warehouse (2016) Ltd then that is hardly BMW's fault.)

2) A suspension component structurally failed. This would result in a wheel being grossly out of its normal position, possibly rubbing on the chassis or body of the car, the underside of the car possibly dragging on the ground, excessive noise and vibration that could not be ignored, and probably an immediate crash due to becoming uncontrollable.

lisaka, Jul 31, 7:36pm
2002 X5 165,000 km i think at moment.
Its been tteated very well and always maintained.
I see an earlier message saying this is a learning lesson with bmw and get ready for more problems.
You sure are right . Every mechanic ive talked to said bmw will cost you alot of money forever and i should buy a holden.

intrade, Jul 31, 7:41pm
ummm if you have morons who dont acturaly service your car correctly just pretend they do and charge you lots for ot doing it. Then you sure will accumulate a lot of problems.

henderson_guy, Jul 31, 8:18pm
Are you suggesting that this vehicle wasn't serviced correctly?