Economical performance vehicle ?

Page 2 / 3
lookoutas, Oct 5, 7:15pm
Don't know if I've worked it out in the right direction, but that converts to 31mpg Imperial.
A 120% increase.

Anyone got a different angle on that?

nice_lady, Oct 5, 7:21pm
Hubby swears he was walking down the street and heard a rumble he turned around to see a BAMBINA rolling past with a very definitive V8 sound. Found out later it apparently had a Chev 350 in it. Now that's got to be economical and a bit of a performance beast also !

loud_37, Oct 5, 7:29pm
He did pick two, performance and economy. I think it should be as sw20 was saying fast, cheap, reliable pick two of those.

tgray, Oct 5, 7:39pm
Economical performance vehicle? Why?

keith190, Oct 5, 9:16pm
BMW 130 265hp & up to 38mpg if driven conservatively. I believe the 135 is similar

serf407, Oct 5, 9:46pm
Nissan leaf with aerokit and sticky tyres.
Honda Civic type R 2001-2005 $11K -$13K 9.1 l/ 100km - 98 octane.
120kg lighter than the following model. 9.1 km could be reduced with aero, engine configured to run different maps, adding kinetic mass etc.

crab007, Oct 5, 10:18pm
Like my 1990's kawasaki ZZR600 low 11's 1/4 mile. 50mpg when it wants to the fun factor is 100 - there is a fine line between - pleasure and pain though . even my old $300 Mazda does low 7's 0-100km/h and uses about 8.3l/100km

poppy62, Oct 5, 10:21pm
Mercedes A 45 . 6.9L/100. and it has the looks too.

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION
-2 litre 4 cylinder Turbocharged
-Power 265kW
-Torque 331Nm
-Acceleration 4.6 Seconds 0-100KM/H
-7 Speed AMG Speedshift - DCT
-4MATIC all-wheel drive

tamarillo, Oct 6, 7:52am
Performance. diesel ute. what?
If you're looking new, most modern petrols with turbos have that low down torque that belies the engine size, but also rev sweetly, are light, and can be attached to a well performing chassis too. Fords ecoboosts for example.

timmo1, Oct 6, 9:23am
Adding kinetic mass?

fordcrzy, Oct 6, 10:47pm
A 2005+ mazda mx5 is a great performance car with some decent coil overs. Bolting on a turbo kit will have blowing the doors of most modern performance cars

ralphdog1, Oct 7, 9:21am
Budget?
2 seats enough?

budgel, Oct 7, 10:17am
Depending on your budget, a supercharged Jaguar can be had for not a lot of money, and the rest of your budget can cover the gas. They are quite light for a large car, having lots of aluminium in their construction, and therefore are relatively economical. Brembo brakes etc.

tuamanfan, Oct 7, 2:53pm
Something on E85 for sure, plus it's not nearly as affected by price fluctuations

mals69, Oct 10, 10:00am
Cheers all for the suggestions, will
take those that appeal for a test drive.

Good skills Look with the mpg calculation.

Going by some of the cars in the list it looks like
you can have performance, looks, economy.

gsimpson, Oct 10, 10:20am
Lotus Esprit. Economical on fuel and parts prices.

les6, Oct 12, 8:56pm
C6 corvette would take a bit of beating?

therafter1, Oct 13, 8:22am
Economy performance, sounds like an oxymoron. Another vote for the MX5 here.

I haven't read all of the comments, but what sort of price range are you looking at?

If you are thick skinned and can handle the hairdresser comments from the great unwashed who have quite probably never driven or owned a Toyota MR-S then they are worthy of consideration. I wouldn't go so far as to call them a performance car, but they are still not slugs, and what they don't have in horse power they make up for with light weight, nimble handling, good comfort (depending on your physical proportions), good stopping, reliability, lots of driving pleasure, and very good economy. I have even read comment to the effect that due to the fact that they were only manufactured for a relatively short time frame that they could go on to become collectible.

At a later stage they can be modified relatively cheaply for the addition of performance if that is what you are after.

mals69, Oct 13, 9:50am
Got 80K to put towards a car, but cheaper the better :)

Performance and economy use be an oxymoron, not these
days with the likes of the suggested C6 Corvette and late model
mustangs etc.

The lotus and mr-s would lack the torque I'm after but yes
perform well for what they are, sister had an mr-s and fitted
the stereotype perfectly with being a hairdresser.

Cheers

socram, Oct 13, 9:57am
BMW Cooper S?

Sounds as though you are more interested in torque rather than performance, which suggests you are after a large vehicle rather than a small one.

mals69, Oct 13, 10:15am
Yes, I'm a bg boy too, want to avoid the look my 120kg
mate has sitting in his golf gti, looks like a pumpkin
squeezed into a pimple.

therafter1, Oct 13, 10:18am
Sounds a bit like it. If I was going to throw anything approaching that sort of money towards a toy I would most definitely have one of these little babies in the garage. Every time I drive one (not that I have driven the latest ones), they impress me. And the claimed torque figures look just fine to me, and those figures may not be as instantly apparent as in a bigger engined car, but the torque never seems to be very far away. And at that sort of money the only option I would consider would be brand spankers!

https://www.subaru.co.nz/showroom/wrx-sti

edangus, Oct 13, 10:20am
Chrysler SRT - Fuelsaving tech
Jeep SRT - Fuelsaving tech
Not sure on the Imported ones though.

Yes I am a CJD Fiat Fanboy.

A Durango SRT really would float my boat.

therafter1, Oct 13, 10:20am
Aha . hence the need for the bigger car. Helpful if you included that sort of info in your first post as oppposed to having to have the criteria extracted from you!

poppy62, Oct 13, 10:33am
Seems like you'd be better off all round getting a Push bike with a BIG saddle.