Toyota Hilux major issue?

Page 2 / 3
mrcat1, Mar 29, 6:06pm
I think it depends who you talk to as to how effective or not the system really is and who has made the system.
Some say it scrubs up well, others say there is still a little bit, but its a lot hell of a lot better than the days when smoke was pouring out of diesels.

But to come out and say that all diesels are going to be banned in 5 years time is just being dumb.
There is no technology capable of replacing the diesel engine effectively and possibly wont be for 40-50 years.

tweake, Mar 29, 7:14pm
keep in mind that because they don't need to run so much egr to keep nox down, they don't make as much soot in the first place. they also don't have as much co, unburnt fuel etc.
less egr means less dirty exhaust to clean up. the cat easily deals with that including the soot. however it has more nox which the adblue deals with.

bigfatmat1, Mar 29, 9:18pm
I agree it is dumb

bigfatmat1, Mar 29, 9:20pm
my point is not how much But the fact it's still.there. not just water and nitrogen

mrcat1, Mar 29, 11:22pm
So where is this information about how much Nox and particles is still being emitted?
Is it a certain maker or you meaning in general?
A lot of info I have seen is saying that there isn't any Nox or particles being emitted.

strobo, Mar 30, 8:00am

bigfatmat1, Mar 30, 8:23am
I don't know where you would find it. The info I have is from training courses.

tweake, Mar 30, 9:42am
theres no such thing as no nox or soot being emitted, not even with petrol engines.
thats extremely difficult to do and its not required.
manufactures only have to pass the emission standards, but those standards still allow some to get through. tho the amount tends to get less with every new standard that comes out.

mrcat1, Mar 30, 9:42am
That study is 10 years old and is not using Adblue or a SCR unit, its on a 6.7litre Cummins like in my ute and technology would have improved since then.

mrcat1, Mar 30, 9:45am
This is my point, they are claiming that the only things emitted out of a tier 5/6 diesel is Nitrogen, water and C02.
No NOX or soot, as that is what they are supposed to be removing with DPF and SCR units with the aid of adblue.

This is the limits for Euro 6 emissions standards,

Diesel engine,
CO (carbon monoxide): 0.50 g / km
HC (total hydrocarbons): 0.09 g / km (approx.)
NOx (nitrogen oxides): 0,080 g / km
HC + NOx (hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides): 0,170 g / km
PM (particles): 0.005 g / km (Soot)

Petrol engine:
CO (carbon monoxide): 1.0 g / km
HC (total hydrocarbons): 0.10 g / km
NOx (nitrogen oxides): 0,060 g / km
HC + NOx (hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides): 0.160 g / km (approx.)
PM (particles): 0.005 g / km (Soot)

The only problem is most of the southern hemisphere are unregulated markets, it might be for cars and possibly trucks, for the likes of earth moving gear there is no requirement for any to comply to any standard.

tweake, Mar 30, 10:15am
not to mention the other countries that have lower emission standards if any at all, for all vehicles.
see that with some 4wd's that have different egr systems depending on what market they are sold in.

the-lada-dude, Mar 30, 12:54pm
If there is no NOX or soot from these modern oil burners , then why put limits on it ? . how can you limit something that doesn't exist ? . ummmmm der, well it's really like this your Honor . pmsl

hfc2, Mar 30, 3:02pm
Yep I saw one yesterday, blue smoke pouring out under accleration

strobo, Mar 31, 5:50am
A worn turbo can burn off engine oil (blue smoke trails. a trait had of any brand of turbo diesel vehicle , not just typical of Toyota !
,The diesel fuel side may well be fine! There are always service reasons why excess smoke is apparent and that applies to any vehicle brand .

david_270, Mar 31, 6:49am
The Tpyota issue applies to near new vehicles, so is extremely unlikely to involve a worn turbo or service issues. According to the Aussie stories its the 5th injector in the DPF, hence the reason for the "work-arounds".
From the comments to the Aussie stories it seems to be a widespread issue in the 2.8's , yet in NZ not so much?

strobo, Mar 31, 8:03am
A DPF burn off ? News to me! maybe the aromatics used in the diesel fuel we have here compared to whats used in Australia.

david_270, Mar 31, 8:33am
Thats what the clips linked at the beginning of the thread are about.
DPF's getting clogged, and the 5th injector either failing to operate, or staying stuck open - hence the white smoke.
Yes, a difference in diesel mix could well explain why NZ doesn't seem to have a problem.

strobo, Mar 31, 8:39am
If the DPF didnt burn off ,the motor would literally explode! A clogged system I cleaned out on a 2.8 not long ago had the 4th injector smashed clean through the tappet cover taking the fuel return pipe with it. The Inlet manifold orifices were reduced in size of 50c piece with soft carbon! So after a complete descounge and all new parts ,injectors fuel pipes,cylinder head fitted etc the last problem was the DPF and EGR system to attend to ,the owner was informed about that and unfortunately didn't want any further work done so out it went! My thoughts then . were with a clean system and correct engine oil used ,because the soft carbon appeared to be a byproduct from engine oil not diesel oil. Carbon build up increases compression ratios and added stress.But why at the 4th injector and not number 1?
I must be behind the times in need to keep up lol old age they say.

mrcat1, Mar 31, 8:45am
Why do you think the makers have got them to virtually have no emissions, its because they have to meet the limits or better, that's the whole point of gradually lowering the limits as they have done since about 2006 with the different Euro/ Tier limits.

the-lada-dude, Mar 31, 9:25am
why do you 1st tell us that modern diesels have NO emissions ,,,,but now they have VIRTUALLY none . that term covers the size of a footy field

tweake, Mar 31, 9:29am
tons of talk on aussie forums about their poor quality diesel.
that could be part of it.
but also the size of the market, they have a lot more utes than we do so are going to see more failures.

mrcat1, Mar 31, 9:57am
I would say it would be a very small footy field when they are saying milligrams per km don't you think?
And the makers have to be less than the limits, some may be at zero emissions.

hfc2, Mar 31, 2:08pm
Yep agree but this truck I saw is only months old. I know the owner

strobo, Mar 31, 9:10pm
Just chewing over some thoughts on that new HiLux engine .Can i put it to you if hydrocarbons within a type of engine oil that is used were to scuff out a high temp turbo seal ( which is a different type of seal than other engine part seals) ) were to fail will induct oil into an engine.
And another point is oil flow through the turbo restricted ,The new GD engine looks quite evil just reading some guff on it . cant find much on the turbo charger used except it's new design and curious if a micro filter is used in the oil line like they did on the old ford xr6 clogged filter and run out , garrett turbo.If a new GD engine had a certain type of oil replaced pre delivery this may have some effect on micro filters and turbo seals & inturn tail pipe smoke! The new turbo is 30% smaller than its current equivalent the KD!
An inappropriate turbo seal can scuff pretty damn quick with certain oils!

C &P . But of what harm specifically, are carboxylic metal salts? They couple with other substances resulting from the breakdown of oil additives, fuel traces and other substances, to produce ‘coffee-grounds’ sludge, complex tars, varnishes and resins. These substances can coat piston parts, causing them to function less efficiently. Also, these oxidation products are largely insoluble and tend to settle out, hindering motor oil flow. This of particular importance in engines that use very ‘low-weight’ motor oil that must reach hard-to-access locations.

david_270, Aug 1, 8:51am