2018 Audi RS3 Sedan - 6 month update

Page 1 / 2
lazzo, Jul 10, 8:06pm
Because some of you maybe interested.

Last year I ordered a new Audi RS3 Sedan and it was delivered at the start of this year, the car was to replace my Mk7 Golf R.

After 6 months and 8,000km of ownership I figured some of you might be interested in some feedback from an owner.

It’s AMAZING, more amazing than I ever imagined it would be, more fun and without question this car makes me grin.

This really is a stunning drivers car, clearly has WAY more ability than what I’m ever going to put it through, one thing that must be mentioned. it’s fast, seriously it’s VERY fast, I always knew it was quick when I first test drove one, but boy oh boy this thing is lethal, particularly from a standing start but also on the fly, you would be bloody brave to try race this thing off the lights.

The noise. let’s talk about that noise because this is something that gets me every time, I’m glad I never paid extra for the Bang & Olufsen because I constantly drive with the tunes turned down or right off. The exhaust sound is absolutely magic, my neighbour even asked if I had it modified. “not a chance this is how it comes off the factory floor” I say. The sound is addictive, has the most beautiful farts, crackles and pops on up and down shift, it’s the down shift ones I love the most. It’s an unusual sound being a 2.5L 5 Cylinder with an out of sequence firing order 1. 2. 4. 5. 3, I liken it to a miniture version of a Lamborghini Huracan.

The handling is what you would expect from an Audi RS Quattro, like it’s on rails, simply point it and put your foot down and it will follow through.

The car has a good amount of tech, more so than its competitor, I say competitor because there really is only one and in my opinion that isn’t even within touch of this car. Virtual Cockpit, Matrix Headlights and Dynamic indicators are a few of the notable tech features I love. but so many more.

This wasn’t a cheap car by any means, it is clear to me where Audi has spent the money, and it’s not on the things you can see. I often wish they had made more of a point of difference between the RS3 and the S3, but I guess we can’t have everything in an entry level RS can we?

A couple of annoying things, I hate it when it has a little choke when you’re travelling at 80kph and then slam the throttle to the floor. Also, on occasion it has an exhaust rattle on cold start up that lasts for about 20-30 seconds. The seats I would have loved to have the seats that are in the TTRS, there isn’t anything wrong with the RS3 seats as such but I often feel like I’m sitting on the seat rather than in it.

I can’t tell you what the fuel economy is, I don’t know and I don’t care, but I can say it’s not good, I just fill it up when it’s empty.

It’s a STUNNING car, so so fun, why spend your daily commute in a shitter when you can spend your time in this!? I rate this car highly and as difficult as Audi are to deal with, I like it, I like it a lot, I’m pleased in my decision to buy this car and feel it’s worth every cent.

Enjoying everyday with my Audi RS.

desmodave, Jul 10, 8:15pm
Good on ya .

meow_mix, Jul 10, 8:16pm
Why did Audi give the car Dynamic indicators but only the little 2.5L misery V5 from the Golf? Oh well I hope you enjoy the car, will it be a long term ownership, or will you sell it in 18 months and buy another superb VAG product?

lazzo, Jul 10, 8:18pm
Good on ya.

intrade, Jul 10, 8:31pm
good to hear all vag drive like on rails compaired to asian cars.
This is because of emission reasons "A couple of annoying things, I hate it when it has a little choke when you’re travelling at 80kph and then slam the throttle to the floor. "
our dacia sandero euro5 did do that from taking off takes getting used to that you have to wait almost 1/2 to 3/4 secound before you can let the clutc go in or it would stall instantly.

poppy62, Jul 10, 8:32pm
Excellent! hope you enjoy many, many drives in your car. Nice to hear someone going for it while they are able to. Life's too short to not enjoy everything you can get out of it. Good one mate!

rovercitroen, Jul 10, 8:34pm
Yeah. Good on you lazzo. Thanks for sharing.

lazzo, Jul 10, 8:36pm
Thanks, it’s my daily driver, a mule not a jewel, but it’s certainly a fun run to the shops.

stevo2, Jul 10, 8:40pm
Nice one Lazzo. Enjoyed reading it. Enjoy your car

meow_mix, Jul 10, 9:00pm
You bought the wrong car! You should have gone for "its competitor", I'm guessing the sporty BMW 1 Series with the straight 6 or is it a V8 I can't remember? A hot chick would much rather be seen in the BMW, the RS3 looks like a Corolla with a body kit and a cheap set of 18"s on HP from Mag & Turbo.

sw20, Jul 10, 9:12pm
Jog on dickhead.

blacksand1, Jul 10, 9:17pm
I don't think this is a V5, not sure it ever got near a Golf either, and 270kW is not bad from 2.5 litres. Its only about 10 years ago that sort of power is what GM thought was good from their LS1.

lazzo, Jul 10, 9:17pm
You got that one right.

lazzo, Jul 10, 9:19pm
No the motor is not from a Golf, and it’s 294kW.

absolute_detail, Jul 10, 10:14pm
That noise you hear from the exhaust is probably the secondary air injection running

toenail, Jul 10, 10:56pm
yes its a great car, edges out the a45 amg.

lazzo, Jul 10, 11:21pm
It doesn’t sound so good when it does that cold start rattle, but when it stops it’s so damn gooooooood!

rovercitroen, Jul 11, 1:07am
Geez, if I'd paid that much for a car I would expect any rattles to be fixed PRONTO.

the-lada-dude, Jul 11, 7:53am
" like it’s on rails, simply point it and put your foot down and it will follow through. "

I guess there is a very limited tyre choice ! some vehicles have a specified tyre for each corner of the vehicle. As the tyre is the last contact between the road and vehicle, it becomes probably the most critical part of any high end suspension design. . so what are they specifying ?. Wingchow, Kungfoo fighters, Wingwangwallawallaboombang ?

martin11, Jul 11, 8:11am
Just get decent tyres like Pirelli or Continental for it they are not that expensive .do not use cheap tyres . And make sure you have the same ones all around and very similar tread depth . Replace them all at the same time and rotate them correctly to get good mileage out of them .

lazzo, Jul 11, 8:41am
Haha. You are correct, tyres are absolutely critical on a car like this, it runs Pirelli as the standard choice from the factory, I’ve only done 8,000km on mine, I imagine I’m not going to get a long life out of them but be assured I will not scrimp and scrape of tyres, I typically buy what’s best for the car and the sort of driving I do regardless of the price. I agree it’s often tyres along with the cars electronic aides that have your life in their hands.

666steve, Jul 11, 9:05am
My son in law has a 2017 RS3 he bought new. He hates it.

Brake squealing and suspension creaks ruin the driving experience. Also the electric windows are temperamental. Audi reckon the brake and suspension issues are "normal" and can't or won't fix them.

He parked the car at a friend's place. A gate blew open and bumped the front of the car. A cracked headlight lens and a front grille will cost over $10k to replace.

Sure it sounds hot, but that wears off after a while. It's certainly quick, but you risk losing your licence every time you give it a bootfull and your tyres won't last long. Anyway, he's selling it now. probably drop $45k for a year's ownership.

lazzo, Jul 11, 9:17am
Correct. But it really has nothing to do with how much you paid for a car because you’d do the same thing with a $20,000 car too right?

lazzo, Jul 11, 9:23am
Everyone knows someone that knows someone else that has or had something they have had trouble with. that is life and it’s human nature to whinge about the negatives and gloss over the positives. especially if it’s not even your own car or your own real time experience.

666steve, Jul 11, 9:32am
Yup, but one would expect better from such an expensive vehicle, plus it's completely impractical as a daily driver. A standard A3 would be much better.

What positives? A heap more performance than you can ever use? Harsh ride? Brap brap exhaust note?