Personal appearance. Car dealer

Page 1 / 4
kazbanz, Jul 28, 12:20pm
Hey Folks. I'm trying to get opinions here. no one right or wrong just your opinions.
You are looking to buy a used car. So you are looking at the non franchise type dealerships.
The sales person heads towards you.
How is he/she dressed that's going to have you feel the most at ease ? or perhaps the most likely to relate and want to buy from that dealer?

sw20, Jul 28, 12:24pm
Tidy. Collared shirt but no tie. Soft shell jacket if cold. No sport shoes or gold chains.

richardmayes, Jul 28, 12:29pm
Suit pants and a collared shirt. No tie. Leather shoes.

I.e. business enough that you look like you take my potential custom seriously. but not to the point that you make me feel under dressed.

smellykelly, Jul 28, 12:31pm
THIS !

bumfacingdown, Jul 28, 12:31pm
What is behind the clothes is as important as the clothes (within reason)
I have had good (in my opinion) car salespeople dressed as casual as (jeans, sneakers and sloppy joe jersey) and had complete *A*holes dressed in a suit

marte, Jul 28, 12:37pm
Polyester shirt with long collar & pencil thin moustache, patent leather shoes. Gold chains, creased polyester trousers, hair grease.

mouse265, Jul 28, 12:47pm
im with bumfacingdown if you are over dressed it makes me think dodgey lives here and leave

bumfacingdown, Jul 28, 12:47pm
Love it

marmar1, Jul 28, 12:58pm
Tidy casual is good enough for me.

gusthe1, Jul 28, 1:55pm
have grey shoes and hawaian shirts gone out of fashion in that line of work. "Wanna motor guvnor"

budgel, Jul 28, 2:03pm
Smart casual, non smoker.

apollo11, Jul 28, 2:17pm
Collared shirt with company logo on it. Dress pants and shoes. No black leather jackets, gold teeth and slicked back hair lol.

tony9, Jul 28, 2:34pm
Nothing wrong with dress shorts, long socks and sandals either.

saxman99, Jul 28, 3:23pm
Depends on the business.

In a “We sell brand new premium euro Luxury sedans for more than your house In our glass and marble edifice” City dealership, I would expect the sales rep to look like a million bucks in large denominations, to offer me coffee and to address me as “Sir”.

At a nice, tidy family-owned “We sell Great little everyday Reliable transport that you can afford With a smile” caryard In West Auckland I’d expect as above, smart casual, tie optional. Introduces him or herself by first name and addresses me by mine.

mrfxit, Jul 28, 3:32pm
Black shoes (any closed type/ black laces)
Black/ very dark grey dress pants/ dress jeans.
Any style dress collar button company monogrammed shirt/ short or long sleeve depending on weather/ any passive color but no bold striking- mixed colors.

The key is to be very tidy & able to avoid showing any dirt-dust on your clothing from checking cars with customers BUT a casual smart & clean appearance.
Don't look like you wallow in cash & snobbery but do show you have a healthy respect for where your earnings come from.

My self as a computer tech/ e-waste recyclier/ tech seller.
Black or dark color well fitting reasonable to good condition clothing with a preference to black.

If you and or the customer are not comfy with your appearance, then you have already lost the first impression need for an easy sale

mrfxit, Jul 28, 3:34pm
"sales rep to look like a million bucks in large denominations"
Dress code inspires attitude.
You probably just lost the cash sale from a lotto winner or more.

scuba, Jul 28, 3:44pm
You forgot the orange spray on tan and at least one gold filling- I knew this guy- he worked at City Motors in Dunedin in the late 70s.

cjohnw, Jul 28, 4:07pm
Safari suits have never gone out of style.

jmma, Jul 28, 4:11pm
Jeans with a car racing top does it for me, shows you love cars.

lakeview3, Jul 28, 4:25pm
you left out a couple of important details, checked polyester shirt, brown polyester suit and grey fake leather shoes with zips ip each side, and don’t forget the dandruff mixed in with the oily hair!

kingfisher21, Jul 28, 4:27pm
lol, had to laugh at this

bumfacingdown, Jul 28, 5:21pm
Y'all forgot the oversized belt buckle

lakeview3, Jul 28, 5:28pm
or no belt and pants that can’t stay up because of the pot belly!

sw20, Jul 28, 5:49pm
Boohoo. Can't please all the people all the time. If the one lotto winner each year that is splashing out on a $200k car doesn't like your suit who really gives a rats backside. Your hundreds of regular clientele probably wouldn't appreciate meeting with the sales guy from BNT when looking to upgrade their 9000km old Euro Luxo Barge.

sr2, Jul 28, 5:57pm
I'm all for the 'classic used car salesman' look.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1373291807.jpg