Personal appearance. Car dealer

Page 2 / 4
lakeview3, Jul 28, 5:59pm
haha oh yeah it wasn’t the checked shirt it was the checked blazer!

lakeview3, Jul 28, 6:03pm

stevo2, Jul 28, 6:39pm
Another vote for Smart Casual. Always trousers and not shorts. Smart shoes, not trainers. Long or short sleeved business shirt and tidy jacket if required but no tie. No hats or dark sunglasses. Tidy hair and don't call me "Mate" if we've never met before.

bigfatmat1, Jul 28, 6:59pm
Mid life crisis Kaz? Looking for fashion advice in the motoring forum?

paul861, Jul 28, 7:33pm
haha, that's tractor/truck salesmen

shakespeare6, Jul 28, 7:33pm
Black Jeans , Hawaiian shirt complete with 80’s style brown leather jacket- at least he thought it was acceptable! I couldn’t get off the yard faster enough

casualobserver, Jul 28, 7:41pm
I'm pretty confident that how a salesperson dresses has absolutely zero effect on how a car performs - so I couldn't care less what they are wearing.

rovercitroen, Jul 28, 7:44pm
Spot on. Nothing worse than "mate this, mate that. "

joanie04, Jul 28, 8:40pm
Only one thing worse, and that is being called "sweetie" by a guy younger than you lol.

hkjoe, Jul 28, 9:43pm
Like Cheryl Rixon in Used Cars (1980).

stevo2, Jul 29, 6:44am
Mate, using the word "Mate" is ok if you are talking to a "Mate" or even an acquaintance but should not be used by any salesperson trying to sell his/her goods to a complete stranger.
It makes me think they are trying to infer they are buddies with you so you will buy off your new buddy. What I see is a salesperson endeavoring to lower themselves to my working class level to push a sale. Their next punter might be a professional and they will try to make him/her feel at home by addressing them as "Sir" and using words from the top end of their vocabulary.
Honesty, Integrity and "Be Yourself"
Cheers "Mate"

tamarillo, Jul 29, 7:00am
As above smart business casual.
But if I catch em Getting down and dirty in the valet area just casual will do.

amasser, Jul 29, 8:14am
The car is more important.

phoenix22, Jul 29, 9:35am
Don't forget the leather patches on the elbows of the suit jacket. Don't want to wear it out too fast!

I personally would only expect to see a person in tidy black pants, wearing a company polo shirt, and jacket if cold. I'm not too fussed by outwardly appearance, but more interested that they actually ask me if I want help, show an interest in what it is I want (rather than trying to push their own agenda as to what they think I should buy), and knows what they are talking about.

I remember a few years back now, I wanted to buy a new car. Just a second hand car, but new to me. Went to about 4 different car yards before someone bothered to come out and help me. I bought my car from that yard, even though they weren't the cheapest at the time

poppy62, Jul 29, 9:48am
A monogrammed shirt or jacket with the Company Logo is a must. That way people at least know they're dealing with a Company Rep. The old adage "Manners maketh man" should also apply, like the Sir/Madam stuff as opposed to the mate/buddy/chick slang. To this day, I still address people with Sir / Madam (Maam) and it immediately has a positive affect on them. Sadly I'm a noted dinosaur.

mrfxit, Jul 29, 10:28am
Dinosaurs are fine, they end up fixing all the crap the ignorant stuff up
Normally I am very polite to my customers, but tend to revert to their style of speech preference in a mild way as soon as I can see it's safe.

mrfxit, Jul 29, 10:32am
Yep done something like that too.
Had a few various reasons from time to time in the past, to visit specific branded yards for "professional" advice possibly leading up to a few sales.
Pretty sad when they convey to you that unless you ARE buying, just bugger off.
Never did set foot back in those places & interesting to note that most of those workshops/car yards etc, are gone now.

saki, Jul 29, 10:38am
white trousers, flared or otherwise, white shoes, body hugging paisly shirt and with a real westy mullet.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 10:55am
nahh mate ill be going Mate , mate ,mate as I jangle my gold chains hanging over my polyester trou and checked shirt.

poppy62, Jul 29, 11:09am
Yes Sir. See there you go you already feel important. Now Sir, may I show you this delightful little crapbox Nissan S Cargo. I see you drive an old rusty Terrano out there so maybe this is just what you need for for your business activities. You'll note the huge space in the back for all the Sacks full of Loot that you extracted from your poor Tenants. Plus it'll look like you need the moolah much more than they do, and a have a kick at those tyres Sir!.

onlylv, Jul 29, 11:31am
When your partner first approached me, I didn't know who she was as she was not dressed up as a sales person. But she was rather informative and took the time to explain to me about the different cars she showed me to. By then, I had established the fact that your business and house are in the same property and there's a tendency to dress casually. Can't recall what you were dressed in. lol

Well, at least I wasn't chased away like what another dealer did when I was trying to get used to the sitting position next to the steering wheel of the Ractis. Dressed up or not, it is very important to spend time with customers and make them feel welcome.

I've met some shocking dealers over that 6 - 7 weekends I was visiting car yards. sheesh.

poppy62, Jul 29, 11:57am
Don't know your surname Mals69. But, for sure You shall from now on be known as Master Bates.

alowishes, Jul 29, 2:07pm
Can’t get a more trustworthy look than that!

alowishes, Jul 29, 2:11pm
Add a pair of wrap around sunglasses sitting on top of the head.
And chewing some bubblegum - don’t forget that important item.

tony9, Jul 29, 3:06pm
Around 50 years ago I went on a sales course in Christchurch, we sold tractors etc. but the dealer network mostly did cars, but had recently got the distributorship for the tractor brand we had. Very well known network, still in business, but branched out into other stuff.

Anyway some bright spark thought us agricultural types could be trained to be hot shot sales people.

The training was shocking, told us all we needed to know, how to dress, and how to relate to the suckers (they were called that). We were taught that they were usually stupid, ignore the girls, and refer to the convertibles as c$nt catchers. Hard sell was the name of the game. Find out what the punter thought they wanted and BS them that the vehicle just above their target had it all.

Every rule of equality and decency was broken. Us agricultural types drank the booze (there was lots) and ignored the rest.