Toyota Signature Class

Page 2 / 3
toenail, Jan 17, 6:22pm
https://www.axalta.com/content/dam/EMEA/Refinish/Public/Documents/color-popularity/Axalta_2020_Global_Automotive_Color_Popularity_infographic.pdf See above for 2020 trends, silver is still more popular colour than red, and this usually translate to broader potential buyers.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/what-are-the-best-car-colors-to-buy/

If we take away 2020 popularity, total registrations still favor silver in NZ and in places like the US, especially with Luxury cars.

toenail, Jan 17, 6:26pm
https://www.thecarbrokers.co.nz/blog/2019/7/18/car-basics-car-colour-does-it-impact-on-resale-value "Using 2017 data, silver (22%) is the most popular new car colour in New Zealand followed by white (19%), blue (14%), black (13%), grey (9%) and green (5%). You can see that New Zealander’s choose conservative colours primarily. "
"For most cars, conservative colours like silver are best when it comes to resale value. This is because they have the widest appeal. Metallic paint is often sought after by second-hand buyers so adds value at resale time, too. Metallic cost sometimes costs a little more at the initial purchase time, but usually not very much.

The exact influence of colour on resale value does vary by the type of car."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/rainbow-motoring-the-most-popular-vehicle-colours-on-new-zealand-roads-revealed/X5US7QWWRI
QEJW2VELDW5O2MII/

"Silver took the chequered flag with a comfortable lead over white-coloured vehicles, meanwhile, blue was third-most-popular some distance behind."

jesus2000, Jan 17, 6:39pm
Popular or common?

Common equals boring as hell.

curlcrown, Jan 17, 7:32pm
While I have no reason to doubt those figures they do not suggest in any way that silver should be worth more than red. Even if more people want silver than red it would not mean silver is worth more because there are so many more silver cars than red, even if fewer people wanted red there are far fewer red cars available. I stand by my own observations no matter how many links any one places. In general a colour is going to be easier to sell than silver and I',m willing to put my money where my mouth is on that. May I ask what percentage of your income you derive from buying cars?

kazbanz, Jan 17, 10:37pm
silver and white are not popular with the general public. Commercial vehicles ,corporate vehicles are rarely anything but those two colours. Private use vehicles those colours are by far the least popular.

franc123, Jan 17, 11:35pm
I dont think that colour has much bearing on a vehicles value al all, it doesnt when its brand new (except of course where an extra charge for metallic applies) and doesnt when it's used either. a colour that might seem a little "out there" only has to appeal to one person enough to sell it. If someone liked it enough to buy it new then someone will also like it in the used market, I've seen car buyers basically fall in love with s particular colour because it WASN'T common.

m16d, Jan 18, 6:28pm
Crikey, I went past the Toyota Sig factory in Thames today, there must be a hundred Corollas there waiting for their "Signature" badge. mostly white ones.
I'll go back tomorrow and get a pic.

sw20, Jan 18, 7:44pm
Your first and last sentence contradict each other when talking about used cars.

franc123, Jan 18, 10:06pm
Wrong. It does not necessarily translate into a buyer paying more money for it.

kazbanz, Jan 18, 10:13pm
sorry mate but we pay more for colours than for silver/ white . And we get more for colours

franc123, Jan 18, 10:15pm
Well that is your experience.

sw20, Jan 18, 11:52pm
Sorry mate but it does. Sold my Blade Master last year. One of the main reasons mine sold? Buyer said they wanted a black one. It was also one of the more expensive.

They could have had a silver one for $2k less.

Maybe in your world where colour doesn’t matter to you, you won’t pay a penny more. Plenty of others do.

toenail, Jan 19, 8:10pm
I am not sure where you live which might influence your perspective nor where you get your data from, but to me it's pretty obvious silver, blue, whites, grey and blacks dominate the streets.

I don't even need to look it up but, if you did, silver and white wins by a huge margin.

https://figure.nz/chart/hWs8ThFDAvZctWtj-KKqfI10UyawDc25Q

laurelanne, Jan 19, 8:39pm
Shit, that made me laugh m16d. I hated white when jap imports first flooded NZ. Now my wife has a white Subaru XV and I have a white RAV4. Easy to keep clean and when I do clean them, there is a bit of pearl in the paint. It looks good. The RAV had a service today. When I scrubbed it up this morning, it did look smart.

gunhand, Jan 19, 9:17pm
Kaz did say general public. Whites in particular will be made up of thousands of company utes for a start, then trucks then camper vans and just vans, police cars etc etc. Its not hard to see why whites are everywhere and thats not even counting the general public's vehicles.

inatiz, Jan 19, 9:20pm
Interested to know which colour is considered to be most visible in all types of weather and therefore safest.

toenail, Jan 19, 10:55pm
makes no difference to my point earlier on even if you subtract all the non-private vehicles (rentals, taxi's, goods vehicles and trucks etc). Silver and white is still the two most popular colour by far.

The raw data set is openly available from government's open data platform sourced from NZTA on a monthly basis. This finding can be independently verified by anyone who can just filter by VEHICLE_TYPE, VEHICLE USAGE and counting of the BASIC_COLOUR metadata. Which I have just done using a statistical computing platform

Don't attempt this with Excel as file exceeds the amount of data it can handle.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/new-zealand-motor-vehicle-register-statistics/new-zealand-vehicle-fleet-open-data-sets/

mack77, Jan 19, 11:20pm
I have read somewhere in the past that yellow was found to be the colour.

franc123, Jan 19, 11:22pm
I will say again, it does not neccesarily mean a buyer will pay more money for a particular car. That may have been your experience but it does not happen all the time

franc123, Jan 19, 11:24pm
The colour scheme used on ambulances gives you a pretty good idea.

sw20, Jan 20, 12:05am
Doesn't happen all the time just means the cheapskate who won't pay the red car price when he can get a silver one for less money.

There will always be a buyer for the higher priced red car.

It's a moot point and means five eighths of sweet fanny adams.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 11:35am
SHEESH- lets try again
The CHEAPEST "colors" to buy vehicles in is white and silver. What we call "poverty pack" The result being that people want nice colors but pure economics pushes them to buy the silver car. Not that they WANT silver but its more affordable. if NZ wasn't a pimple on the backside of the world and have "red shed" mentality we would see a more colourful range of cars here.
Or to rephrase -You might LOVE a nice juicy steak. It might be what you would buy all the time. But you can't afford steak. So you eat sausages because they are all you can afford.--That makes sausages more popular with you in theory.

At the auctions we find people "push" an extra $500-$1000 for a colour which translates to $1500 more per car on the road here in NZ.
Those people are the other 7 countries buying more used jap cars than we do AND the Jap domestic market.-we get the dregs

toenail, Jan 20, 5:13pm
silver or white doesn't cost less than other colours for the majority of makes/models when brought new. therefore the prominence of them equates to them being popular colours. japanese imports only accounts for a portion of cars on our roads.

Even if I filter out imports on the dataset, white and silver is still the most popular.

Japanese auctions are full of white and black cars, of coz any other colour of the same grade and condition at times have a higher bid. But don't confuse the two subjects.

The dataset show white and silver is the most popular colour. Someone paying more for a different colour doesn't mean its a popular colour, its just means that person have a specific colour preference.

Also luxury cars in the +$100K range are extremely popular in white, silver or black, in no way they are "poverty packs" and other colours would take much longer to sell in the secondhand market for luxury cars.

kazbanz, Jan 20, 5:23pm
tell you what--you lay a mill or so of your money and stock your caryard with silver cars.--i'll carry on stocking what 20 years experience shows me sells.

franc123, Jan 21, 12:04am
Silver cars would have to sell otherwise why import them? Its self evident it's one of the more common colours on the road, used imports or not. You only have to look at new vehicle brochures/colour swatches from several model years of cars to realise that a group of about 5 or 6 colours are the most consistently available, fashionable and saleable, these are white, silver, grey, bright red, blue and black. The ones most likely to be deleted, reintroduced for one particular model and then deleted again are various shades of green, yellow, purple, orange, dark red, cream, brown and gold/beige.