Toyota Signature Class

Page 1 / 3
toomanyhats, Jan 15, 9:49pm
Very confused about when Toyota Signature Class 3 year warranty on used cars starts and ends. If a new car is imported (ie NZ new) it starts with a warranty. Then its's leased (or is it sold?) to a rental company, and then comes back to Toyota, if it's a late model, it's probably still within the original warranty period. If it's put through the Signature Class programme, does it get another 3 years from the date it is certified Signature Class?
Toyota sells the car to a dealer who sells it to a customer. Is the Signature Class warranty transferrable?
If Signature Class is not mentioned on the CIN, but the dealer says it is signature class, how can a buyer confirm?

kazbanz, Jan 15, 10:25pm
It starts date of YOUR purchase -ends when the three years from purchase date is up.
You need to have you S class warranty booklet etc.
Heads up-The warranty doesn't have the same cover a decent MBI does and they try VERY hard to convince you that the vehicle must be serviced by them/ another Toyota workshop or the warranty is void.

intrade, Jan 16, 10:07am
i did not think that B$ would still exist. basically The cga overrules what ever they try to B$ you with just like extended warranty for your dishwasher that you dont need because cga coveres that already .
I think that signature stuff was from the 1990s when they did try and say our stuff is better then cheap 6 grand fresh imports. and i think the cga back then was not existing or at least no one did know about it if it already existed.

intrade, Jan 16, 10:11am
While i do agree there should be a rule that you have to proof your car was serviced on time and correctly if you want a cga claim. if not then a car owner should be on his own if or not the problem is there fault. because there is to many people not servicing there cars or think 2 drops of oil adding to the engine every 3 years is enough services to claim cga when it blows up.
car ownership is the most expensive way to get from a to b if you actuarly service the thing with what really is required.= why most europeans use public transport with train year ticket costing 5 grand nz its cheaper then own and service a car.= thats what it really costs when it has to pass a emission smog test- new oil new filters good o2 sensors no holes in exhaust all stuff to fix to just pass a emission test.

gazzat22, Jan 16, 10:52am
Most Europeans use public transport because they have a public transport system unlike NZ and the costs of owning /servicing etc are high.

toenail, Jan 16, 2:08pm
signature class is just another way of asking for more $$ without actually having a higher quality example compared to the bulk of other used Toyota's being sold.

franc123, Jan 16, 2:08pm
I always thought that Signature scheme was a clever way to sell very average cars at highish prices to conservative nervous people who know very little about cars and were looking for reassurance in the jungle that is the used car market, it dates from the time when odo fiddling was rife and the importation of damaged cars that were poorly repaired was high. They made a big deal about their refurbishment programme which indicated to me they were buying lower grade imports that were no better than what you would find for example at the too cheap place and tarting them up a bit better.

toyboy3, Jan 16, 4:21pm
One is 1500cc the other one is 1300cc

kazbanz, Jan 16, 4:25pm
I'm NOT and never will be a signature class fanboy but that's not fair,
The cheaper one is a benny basic 1300cc in silver
The S class one is A nice color and is a 1500cc
There is 10000k difference in miles.
The silver one doesn't have cruise.
Im not saying theres 5.5k difference but theres definitely value there

curlcrown, Jan 16, 5:31pm
You'd be hard pressed to convince the courts you should be covered under the cga on a 6 grand fresh import after 2 years and 10 months.

curlcrown, Jan 16, 5:46pm
Agree with this. While I'm not cognizant with this model in particular in every exaple of a five door small hatch with an option of a 1500cc or a 1300cc engine the 1500cc is always worth more, and a colour is worth more than silver. Also a franchise yards always can get a bit more for late or latish model cars of their make than an independant dealer.

kazbanz, Jan 16, 6:26pm
Sorry but you are wrong on the most part.
1) people shopping for that sort of vehicle generally care very much if its a low spec silver 1300 or a Top spec 1500 in a color. The Camry in question again is silver is 3 years older and is not in any way competition for a red 1500 cc Ractis. -Literally it is a totally different market.
Again Your point is valid when the S class cars are purchased at EXACTLY the same auction as non S class cars. its just your examples aren't very good.

franc123, Jan 16, 7:36pm
That's the point,there isnt any real point of difference. I've come across Sig class cars that whoever had assessed them prior to their approval for sale did not even disguise the fact they were ex lease cars in Japan, which as we all know could be a good or a very bad thing. They still had the Japanese info labels on them from Orix with their helpline numbers etc.

toenail, Jan 16, 7:51pm
Silver is a much easier colour for resell unlike red, red is not every ones taste (female colour on everyday cars unless its a performance car) and therefore takes longer to sell and usually have a lower asking price. Silver hides dirt better so its a very popular colour.

jesus2000, Jan 16, 8:26pm
I don't like silver colored cars and would never buy one. I think it's incredibly boring colour. Like it's only the undercoat and hasn't been painted yet.

sw20, Jan 16, 9:28pm
Nah that red signature class one is priced correctly with the extras you get with the sig class. Three years of WOFS, roadside rescue for three years and the three year warranty. The spec and low mileage also puts all the 1300cc versions to the sword. They know what they have.

franc123, Jan 16, 10:01pm
Lol 3 WoF inspections and 3 years of AA membership has a value of less than $400. Warranty? If the car is as good as they claim it is then you shouldnt need to claim should you? I've not seen the fine print of the exclusion list but I'd wager its long.

mopeds, Jan 16, 10:31pm
Signature Class is for people who need a dependable vehicle.

toomanyhats, Jan 16, 10:39pm
Thanks guys, I'll be looking for a late model possibly ex-rental and get the AA to check it out without paying extra for signature class and getting tied into their servicing.
Background - the salesman (independent dealer, not Toyota) said the 2018 car had 3 months warranty left on its original NZ new car warranty but when I decided not to go ahead the manager said it was signature class. Hence the confusion.

franc123, Jan 16, 11:03pm
This is not the same person that refused to disclose that it was an ex rental was it?

toomanyhats, Jan 16, 11:20pm
Yes, the salesman. After deciding not to go ahead, I emailed the manager and he came back saying it was signature class. Which was never mentioned previously or on the car info sheet. That's why I got confused about warranty periods.

curlcrown, Jan 17, 10:30am
I do agree with you that red is not to everyones taste, but I disagree with the rest of what you have said. Any colour other than silver is almost aways easier to sell all other things being equal, at least on used cars. Perhaps there is a car dealer with a bit of skin in the game who disagrees with me on that.

kazbanz, Jan 17, 11:32am
I totally agree. Ive been at the same auctions them Toyota guys buy from. I'm not disagreeing with the point being made. Just that the specific examples are bad.

kazbanz, Jan 17, 11:39am
I couldn't agree with you more. Silver is by far the hardest color to sell.--with the exception of silver with a beige interior.
Very specifically "post box/telephone box" red is a bit slower to sell. But any of the candy or metallic or orangy reds are easy to sell.

redrum67, Jan 17, 1:42pm
. I worked in a toyota dealership for a while. they were getting vehicles like the highlux with low kays but a very hard life, dents, scratches etc, then they paint and clean it up and sell as a signature class for a mean profit. they look almost new.