Car Dealer miscommunication. Can I do anything?

Page 4 / 4
kazbanz, Jul 24, 9:10am
--I must say Im quoting the OP's first post and assuming it refers to the VOSA
" love the car and researched reasonable requests I could make of a dealer when negotiating. As it was verbal and prices not written-
WHEN SIGNING--- only price agreed for "car with 4 new tyres and new stereo fitted" "

sw20, Jul 24, 9:17am
Yeah. Stereo could be anything. Sadly too vague. From a $25 unit off the shelf at the Warehouse to a $1500 Alpine double din with front and rear cameras, GPS and CarPlay.

kazbanz, Jul 24, 9:23am
On what basis do you feel the dealer concerned acted unethically?
AGAIN--the OP agreed with and signed for certain things to happen. They did happen exactly as specified.

I must say that this will not be the first time this scenario has come up if you read through DT cases over the years. The "judges" always tend to go with the written evidence provided-ie what it says on the VOSA
This scenario is why I personally get very specific when putting details on a VOSA -nowadays even down to what phone the customer has to ensure they pair .

kazbanz, Jul 24, 9:24am
EXACTLY !

kazbanz, Jul 24, 9:46am
Actually I can see exactly what has happened here.
The OP has been negotiating to purchase a vehicle and has offered $XXXXX all up. Im betting that during the initial discussions with the salesman she may have mentioned wanting a radio same as was in the car. Possibly even mentioned same "grade" tyre.
The manager has said.--"Nope not for that price." --it probably went back and forward a time or two.
Then the manager would have put--Ok we will fit new road legal tyres and will fit a kiwi radio of some sort for a total price of $XXXXX

3tomany, Jul 24, 9:52am
Only once when buying a new car did i ever get to choose the sound system. For the record it was my BA falcon and i could have ticked a box to get the premium sound. Since then even base models mostly come with GPS, reverse camera and a great stereo.

3tomany, Jul 24, 9:54am
Yip and even the $1500 example would be a reasonable request should the GPS, Reverse camera and radio not work on a car being purchased, NZ new or Import. Easy fix.

kazbanz, Jul 24, 10:05am
Not so great 7 -9 years down the track. NZ standard spec then on jappa's was two speakers Radio/cd player at best.

cjohnw, Jul 24, 10:25am
+1
We would have purchased probably around twenty brand new cars over the last 40+ years for both the business and privately combined.
I honestly cannot recall one occasion where the dealer has said “which radio would you like?”.

gazzat22, Jul 24, 10:30am
IMO that is where the OP erred.Any contracts should actually specify what/where and how in writing otherwise its all open to interpretation.Obviously in this case the Dealer had a different understanding.We all know what Thought Thought.

3tomany, Jul 24, 1:40pm
Yea jap cars in general have been slow to take up the latest technology. That i why i always bought something better.

kazbanz, Jul 25, 2:21pm
better lawn orniments you mean?

kazbanz, Jul 25, 4:21pm
Hey just to be clear guys.
-Im not saying I agree with how the dealer structured this deal or wrote the VOSA
What I AM saying is that nothing illegal was done in any way shape or form.

motig, Jul 25, 4:52pm
Don't know if this would help anyone but we're in the process of buying a replacement car. Looked at it, spoke to dealer about and what we'd like them to do before we brought it. Then after we got home talked it over and sent a text to the dealer about what we understood would be done. They texted back agreeing so to my mind we had a proper copy of what was to be done.

rbd, Jul 25, 5:39pm
But most of those cars probably had different spec levels. The top spec would have more speakers and a better system, the low spec a worse system.

Some people care what audio system they have, some (my father) don't.

Often Japanese brands you buy your specific model to get your spec. Others (like BMW) you can tick things on the option list that will be installed by the dealer, including upgraded audio systems.

bumfacingdown, Jul 25, 7:13pm
I agree kazbanz, the OP thought they were, and were possibly lead on to believe that thought, getting one thing, got delivered another which is legally right, morally? Hmmmm

curlcrown, Jul 25, 7:45pm
I'm afraid I fell victim to the ambiguity of the English language and upon reading what I wrote I can see that there is more than one way to interpret what I wrote. What I meant was; no wonder so many people don't like car dealers, so many people behave like @#%^ when dealing with car dealers. It seems the is a case of buyers remorse here.

3tomany, Jul 25, 8:46pm
Na just better cars. Better infotainment, better engines, better safety, better emissions, And at the end of that better resale value. Buy the best you never regret it.

3tomany, Jul 25, 8:51pm
You are correct, nothing illegal happened but long term customers do not need legal requirements to know a bad dealer to a good one.

kazbanz, Jul 26, 12:37pm
Crikey I didn't know you were driving jap import Toyota's

nesta129, Jul 26, 1:07pm
The BMW or euro dealers don't do any stereo system or upgrading audio systems installing unless its a custom package by the purchaser then its done at the factory to the customer's specs.

kazbanz, Jul 26, 1:12pm
ANOTHER reason not to buy eurotrash.

gazzat22, Jul 26, 1:20pm
I know a heck of a lot of people myself included who over the years have bought Jap imports with absolutely no issues or problems. I can remember when the only way to get a new car was either to have overseas funds for a deposit.grovel and pay a little"extra" under the table or marry the dealers daughter.Could be why Broadway Newmarket was populated by car dealers and known throughout Auckland as the" 40 Thieves".Thankfully the boot is now on the other foot. !

rbd, Dec 17, 11:14am
Possibly not so much now as even a budget car has a certain level of audio.

My last BMW was 2005 and it definitely went on then. I fitted a iphone adapter and coded it using software to work. This is back when a iphone adapter was a $2500 BMW option.

Now of course every car comes with bluetooth streaming so there is not the same need to update things.