Car Dealer miscommunication. Can I do anything?

Page 1 / 4
charlies4, Jul 20, 12:00am
I have just purchased a new import and as had Japanese stereo, asked to have replaced when negotiating. I was told a new stereo would be $450 installed, I assumed I would be getting that but when picked up car was caught up in my purchase (most amount I've spent) and just wanted to take it on an adventure.The stereo/unit had no GPS on it and accepted that maybe I had misunderstood what I would be getting . Checked online last night retail price of unit and why I had not been given GPS included model and found the one I have is only $170 to buy retail. . Same with tyres. One of them was perishing a little so was told they would replace all of them. Noted which ones were on but when picked up had different brand. I asked for copies of invoices for replacements competed for my records and was told "not unless you want to pay them, they come in in the 20th and we pay all at once"

Issues I have are
The car had Japanese head unit with GPS for Japan, hence why I wanted NZ Unit and not just band expander. I wanted the same features though and was aware this was achievable for the $450 price I was quoted including installation. (which was done by dealer, not outsourced and he'd already said "wouldn't take more than 20 mins."
Tyres on at time of agreement to purchase were a mid range/premium brand (noted name but not model of tyre) and replaced with economy brand which are $30 for mid range or $50 for premium more per tyre than I got. (and had to be done anyway so that didn't even really come into it) can I request a refund of the $280 difference between the $450 I was told and the $170 I was given? Or that they replace with superior Unit with gps included. Not a hassle to use my phone via the Bluetooth for this, just the principle of it.
And also with the tyres can I ask for $120-$200 difference refunded?
OR, as I only got car yesterday can I ask to return car and I'll go somewhere and purchase car with these things already in/on. I paid cash, so no Finance Company's paperwork has to change,

I love the car and researched reasonable requests I could make of a dealer when negotiating. As it was verbal and prices not written when signing only price agreed for "car with 4 new tyres and new stereo fitted" The price I paid is inline with other cary ard prices for same car/model/year with a small difference in kms travelled. I just decided to support local

When I go back tomorrow with my "constructive feedback" on their sales technique and service shall I make requests for remedy or chalk up to experience for next time I upgrade? { can pull out the CGA/FTA spiel which I'm sure they've heard many times and have rehearsed responses ready to come back at me with but was wondering if this is common. I've only ever really brought privately before and am hacked off that my usual "good judge of character" redar was faulty this time maybe or if what they've done is standard.

If you've read this far please give me your opinion/advice

rbd, Jul 20, 1:16am
Sounds like you needed to be more specific.

intrade, Jul 20, 7:32am
so the stereo was 170$ do you recon they used a magic wand to install it?

gusthe1, Jul 20, 7:38am
There was miscommunication on both sides. Fixing the issues may take negotiation from both parties

kazbanz, Jul 20, 8:48am
Sorry if this seems harsh but it will save a lot of time
Cutting through a whole heap of rubbish. YOU are wrong. There is no case to answer. The devil is in the detail. The agreement was "replacement radio and 4 new tyres" That is exactly what you got.
You agreed to pay $XXXX for the vehicle on that basis.
You ASSUMED you were going to get GPS (which incidently is very rare nowadays most radios stream gps from phone) and ASSUMED you would get mid range tyres.-but did not specify that.
What the dealership paid for the tyres and the radio has nothing to do with you.
Again I'm sorry for being harsh but that is the reality.
On a side note depending on the year/make/model of the vehicle there may be a lot more involved in that radio that the cost of the radio.
Even for the most basic install I allow $100 fitting cost. but it can be up to $400 in some cases.-for a "fit kit" fitting wiring adaptors etc.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 9:14am
Regarding the radio First of all. Most of the mainstream manufacturers have gone away from built in GPS units so its really only the cheap and nasty that come with built in GPS and frankly you aren't doing yourself any favours having it fitted.They are at best "ok" for quality.
Instead most good radios now mirror from your phone via BT or usb/aux and you use google maps.
if a customer specifies they want built in GPS then I direct them to a trade me store as I refuse to be involved.
Price wise As I explained in my post above. For example a Toyota Aurus might need a whole replacement facia, arial adaptor,Fit kit ,pocket and wiring. And theres a fitting cost regardless of if inhouse staff or outside pays for it.
Incidently we fit almost exclusively JVC head units and sell the double din units with Reverse camera and screen mirroring for $650
Tyres wise all is not lost. but needs you to be nice about it.
Call the dealership and tell them you expected mid range tyres to be fitted.Ask the difference in price between mid range and the tyres fitted now.

franc123, Jul 20, 9:15am
So what exactly was your contribution to the tyre upgrade? Currently it just looks like you think the cost of the stereo installation should have been free, which isnt particularly reasonable is it given you already agreed to the fitted cost, what they did or did not pay for the head unit isnt relevant. I don't know why anybody would bother with standalone GPS units in cars, they're just a nuisance when smartphone based streamed navigation is that much better and is much more easily upgraded. As a long time franchise tech trust me they're a damn nuisance. I think the dealer has been more than reasonable here based purely on the presented info.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 9:16am
Sorry dude but nope. Customer signed the VOSA stating simply new tyres and replacement radio. anything specific needs to be on the VOSA

charlies4, Jul 20, 9:52am
No, not at all. I was told it's no hassle to install and I was getting at cost pretty much. I was just meaning I would have had done myself if I'd thought was only going to be that price and taken that off how much I negotiated.

charlies4, Jul 20, 10:00am
I made no contribution, They said they would replace them all as 1 was perishing a little. I didn't point that out, they did. I'm really just kicking myself that I didnt negotiate hard enough.

cjohnw, Jul 20, 10:08am
Move on. Enjoy your new car.
Hardly worth losing sleep over.

sw20, Jul 20, 10:15am
In post Covid environment I wouldn't have even paid for the stereo and specified what one I wanted along with the tyres. They can take it, or have the car sit on the lot for another month.

gazzat22, Jul 20, 10:25am
It wasnt very "Magic"for $280 fitting fee.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 10:54am
Would ,could' should doth butter no parsnips.
The Op is asking about a done deal.-car delivered.
Ohh and -the 98-15k used market is exceptionally boyant at the moment so you likely are wrong

amasser, Jul 20, 10:54am
'Replace tyres' implies that you would get tyres of a similar quality. Most people should think that is reasonable.
Negotiate harder.

franc123, Jul 20, 11:11am
So you got free tyres and you are now nitpicking about the quality of them? Unless they are poor quality and are causing undesirable noise or grip characteristics, I wouldnt be complaining. You are buying a used car, not a new one!

kazbanz, Jul 20, 12:32pm
On EXACTLY what legal basis?
The deal is done. OP has taken the vehicle.
The dealer has provided EXACTLY what was promised.
There is no comeback to that.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 12:37pm
Hang on--you (and I) don't know what year/make/model the OP has purchased. $280 might actually be VERY cheap for installation. Equally the radio might well be advertised for $170 on trade me for example but be selling at REPUTABLE retailers for $250.00

franc123, Jul 20, 12:38pm
You should be providing a free pint of your own blood with any car sold by now, you know that ;)

kazbanz, Jul 20, 12:42pm
Just to be clear --Im NOT saying this is how I do things etc. Im arguing strictly from a legal point of view -ie if the OP decided to pursue matters how it would go down at mvdt.
The tyres could be changed NOW but would be at a cost to the OP.
Say for example $50 per tyre. But that's something the OP needs to use honey to get not go in guns blazing as theres no legal requirement to do anything.

gph1961, Jul 20, 12:42pm
some-one borrowed my wand ,never returned it so by golly the jobs got hard after that.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 12:44pm
Its getting pretty close.

charlies4, Jul 20, 1:35pm
No the radio is sold new, not on TM for $170 on special. At a REPUTABLE well known retailer,

And realise (as was writing late last night, that was reverse camera not GPS that would be bonus so will add that.

charlies4, Jul 20, 1:42pm
No, not free tyres. They needed to be replaced. If the car salesman was going to drive the car himself, would he have put these ones on? That's what I will ask. If I make the choiuce as a consumer to put inferior tyres on my car, that's on me. For someone else to make that decision on my behalf is what irks me.That's the difference between a Decent person and someone not so much in my book. Like I said, Lesson learnt

charlies4, Jul 20, 1:47pm
That's kinda what I thought I was doing. As for tyres they weren't a negotiation. Just me not thinking I would have to specify- just a no brainer