NZ Police Skoda

Page 1 / 2
serf407, Nov 25, 10:25am
Interesting to see their total cost of ownership analysis did not support electric or hybrid. I suppose because vehicles are multi-shift used, the short recharge times are not there yet on many full evs for police use.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/police-replace-holden-vehicle-fleet-with-skoda/FZZLXBWET4AXZ2I5W7WQDKDRSE/

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 10:27am
I would really love to see them record and publish the real world fuel usage for their fleet (both the old and new cars).

3tomany, Nov 25, 10:39am
Going to be interesting hearing the local garage in our rural town trying to get their heads around the maintenance requirements. Good choice, nice car but i do struggle to see how it can out do the mainstream brands with large dealer networks.

3tomany, Nov 25, 10:40am
They drink heaps.

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 10:52am
I think it makes sense becauee the mainstream brands have quickly been abandoning large cars and their SUVs still have some disadvantages.

Take a look at the large sedan market, it's pretty much the Camry, Mondeo and Mazda6 (the last two are way overdue for replacement too). Above that you have to go up to the Euros and if you're doing that Skoda makes more sense than VW

saxman99, Nov 25, 10:53am
It’s made by one of the 2 biggest car makers in the world, I think they’ll be fine.

3tomany, Nov 25, 10:55am
Very true, the Euros are the only ones continuing to make large cars.

3tomany, Nov 25, 10:56am
Yes i know that, but have you ever listened to a mechanic and his opinion of VAG vehicles.

absolute_detail, Nov 25, 10:57am
How is it going to be any different for them?

franc123, Nov 25, 11:19am
Hahaha dearie me, that's hilarious. This is a slap for Toyota NZ and their dealer network (some of which are Holden service agents) who thought they had this in the bag with the Hybrid Camry. Further proof I think that EV's are Wallymobiles that dont stack up in the real world, especially not in rural use, the Skodas extensive use in Europe for that purpose plus the unavoidable upfront cost of having to equip every station in the country with multiple charging stations (can't have the plods fighting over the power can we?) would've swayed that argument.

Go apprehend the bastard!
Umm I can't Sarge, I'm all out of Charge.

martin11, Nov 25, 11:35am
Because they do not know how to service them .

kazbanz, Nov 25, 11:37am
Actually I feel the buying decision shows EXACTLY how out of touch with the real (commercial) world the government really is. (in fairness I mean those making the buying decisions for the government fleet)
What I mean by that is that when you look to those actually having to dig into their own pockets to pay for the vehicle,the servicing and fuel costs you see a totally different approach to fleet purchases.

franc123, Nov 25, 12:03pm
It isnt purely an economic decision, it's a practicality one as well.

trouser, Nov 25, 12:06pm
Servicing and fuel costs would have been a factor but major ones would have been access, drive trains, space and configuration options (toyota wagon?). All things that superb has over camry.

poppy62, Nov 25, 12:49pm
Go apprehend the bastard!
Umm I can't Sarge, I'm all out of Charge.

Quote franc123 (414 414 positive feedback) 11:19 am, Wed 25 Nov #11

"What shall I Charge them with sarge"? A fault & battery!

tygertung, Nov 25, 1:17pm
Why not a turbo Subaru wagon? Can you still get those?

tamarillo, Nov 25, 1:22pm
yep, ones I know love them.

tamarillo, Nov 25, 1:24pm
Don’t really see your point there Kaz.

casualobserver, Nov 25, 2:04pm
Like Holden?
Oh, wait. never mind.

morrisman1, Nov 25, 2:15pm
I thought that the v6 camry would have been a pretty solid contender. maybe it was. Toyota has a good network nationwide, but maybe there were other factors at play steering them towards the skoda.

jesus2000, Nov 25, 3:21pm
The police will only look at RWD or 4WD. They don't want FWD.

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 3:30pm
Most of the Commodores were FWD and most of the Skoda will be the FWD model too. Also there is an AWD Camry which Toyota could have made available if they thought it was worth their while.

franc123, Nov 25, 3:51pm
Just a reminder here that the Skoda badge resembles a flying penis. Just sayin.

tamarillo, Nov 25, 4:00pm
what on earth does your minds eye see? Ouch

tamarillo, Nov 25, 4:01pm
They are buying wagons.