NZ Police Skoda

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Nov 25, 4:08pm
In simple terms. The attitude is.-"we aint paying the running costs so we don't care"

snork28, Nov 25, 4:14pm
here is an awesome video of the production of the skoda octavia .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJuKMYIPsXk&ab_channel=CarsGarage

s_nz, Nov 25, 4:56pm
For those with concerns about servicing & repair costs, it is highly likely that the tender process included these costs. I would guess the police will pay an upfront purchase cost, then an time / mileage based fee for the service and maintenance of each car, and the Skoda distribute will take car of all that stuff.

For collision repairs, there is likely a table of standard costs required as part of the tender, everything from the cost of a bumper replacement, to the hourly rate to repair obscure unlisted damage.

Also note that the police will be getting a substantial discount on these cars. Perhaps Toyota offered 10% of list price, and skoda offered 40%?

Also the police deciding they want Wagons, rules out many auto makers.

While I would have loved to see some tesla products in the mix, the reality is that the model S is too low headroom in the back seate, the model X are too expensive, and rear doors not so good for police work, the model Y is not yet available in NZ, and the model 3 is sedan only and has a low payload of 418kg's. Also not so good for situations where the next shift gets into the still warm car of the previous shift.

I don't get this quote from stuff: "Police commissioner Andy Coster cited the reduced environmental impact of the Czech cars as one reason they were chosen. Electric and hybrid vehicles were considered but did not make the cut due to performance issues." - Electric and hybrid cars have performance in spades. A Tesla model 3 performance, or a Lexus GS450h would dramatically outperform the skoda's.

Hopefully the police include a few electric cars in their non-front line fleet.

The skoda superb is well known for it's comfort, back seat and cargo space, so I imagine it will be well liked by officers.

The specs are intersting. The 162kW 2wd is not offered to private buyers, although it is what corporate cabs get in sedan form.

Likewise, the 206kW version is no longer offered in NZ, with private buyers now getting 200kW. I wonder if skoda is importing a special police version, perhaps with the DSG swapped for a conventional auto?

Will be interesting to see if the 4x4 version is the sport-line or the scout (slightly lifted suspension).

s_nz, Nov 25, 4:58pm
Its likely the police just pay the tender price, and fuel, with the skoda distributor pricing up servicing and breakdown costs.

3tomany, Nov 25, 7:47pm
I was thinking Toyota would have had an advantage in the repair network but obviously VAG have given some assurance in this area.

nesta129, Oct 19, 3:04pm
The police in Puke were trialling the toyota camry some time back,think it was the Aurion SX6 but that didnt work in toyota's favor.But whatever the police needed,needed to be roomier as the cars do carry a fair amount of gear etc.
I have a feeling Skoda would also have offered to help with the install of all the police electronic gear into the cars as modern car electronics can be a shithole to work with.Those installs does cost the police a fair bit.