Full tank of gas when buying from a dealer?

Page 1 / 3
tgray, Jul 29, 7:38pm
Do you expect this?

tony9, Jul 29, 7:49pm
New vehicle, yes.

Used, not really but have been surprised.

joanie04, Jul 29, 7:55pm
Not with a used vehicle but I wouldn't want the low fuel light flashing either lol.

sw20, Jul 29, 7:57pm
I don't expect it, but I'll negotiate it if I have to travel for the car. First car I bought from Auckland was happy to oblige. Second was a large franchised yard in Auckland, salesman told me it couldn't and wouldn't be done. Only bought it because it was the best car in the country and they knew it. My folks also negotiated free tanks of fuel for their last two Lexus one in Oamaru and one in Christchurch both from dealers.

likit, Jul 29, 8:26pm
Lol, purchased a used car last week, dealer told me he put some gas in it, jumped in to find it under quarter of tank, he would have been better to say nothing.
I did negotiate a towbar however.

apollo11, Jul 29, 8:47pm
Rang the dealer to ask if he was open the next day, he said yes. Drove an hour and a half to buy car- but they were closed. Turned around and went home. Came back a few days later- close to zero petrol in the car I wanted. Told him that he owed me half a tank of gas for stuffing me around the other day and he graciously put twenty bucks worth in for me lol. I don't have a very high opinion of dealers.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 9:12pm
I expect fuel level high enough to have light out. More is a bonus

tgray, Jul 29, 9:21pm
4,000 sales over 20 years and I have only had 2 people who have asked for a full tank (both women) and I was happy to oblige.
I guess I have saved about $200,000 by not providing a full tank with every car.

marte, Jul 29, 9:28pm
Unless it's German, where its never supposed to get lower than 1/4.

Or should that be 0.25 ?

cjohnw, Jul 29, 9:43pm
So a dealer is so miserable he wouldn’t fill the tank?
What’s that in reality for most cars $60 - $100?
Seems a bit lousy.

androth2, Jul 29, 10:14pm
I bought a car at a well known auction place, they dont put any petrol in beforehand. When collecting I took a 10 litre container of petrol and put it in the tank.It didn't show anything on the gauge but it was ok to go home 30km

clangie, Jul 30, 6:36am
funny cos everytime i testdrive a car it only has just enough fuel so light isnt on, which means for a decent test drive ya gotta put fuel in yourself

mrfxit, Jul 30, 7:55am
20 cars sold = another 2k
It's like giving away one car for every 40 cars sold

tgray, Jul 30, 8:43am
Please read my post #8.
Selling cars is a business and the idea is to return a profit. If I can save $200,000 in fuel over 20 years by not providing something that is not asked for, then what's the problem?
I always pay for the ownership change which is technically the buyers responsibility and that has cost me $36,000 over the same period.

tgray, Jul 30, 8:53am
30 years ago as a twenty something, I test drove a Cortina from a dealer with my girlfriend and it ran out of petrol. After walking about 2k's back to the yard, the salesman took a deep breath then went out the back and returned with a fuel container which he handed to me, all with out saying a word. Acted like it was my fault and I was only gone 5 - 10 mins.
Foolishly, I walked the 2k back to the car, put it in and drove it back to the yard. The things you do when you are young!
If that happened now, I would say "sorry mate, that's your problem, I'm going home".

phoenix22, Jul 30, 9:09am
From a vehicle purchaser POV, if I am dropping 25-30k on a car, I'd quite like a full tank of gas to be thrown in. I understand that this may eat into the dealer profit, but from my perspective, I've just spent a lot of money with you, I don't really want to then have to spend more as I drive off the lot. I don't know what your margins are, I just know how much money I've just parted with.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker, and I'd still by the car if the answer was no if that was the car I wanted, however it would leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth that after spending so much money, the dealer wouldn't stump up $100 for petrol.

On a cheap car, I'd not expect it.

desmodave, Jul 30, 9:23am
Been many years since buying a car from a dealer . I did want to fill up a 350gt skyline i had just collected from the port in Picton . Stopped in Blenheim to fill up on 98 , looking at the dash and beside my seat looking for a fuel flap release . Can't see anything standing out so try pushing on the flap thinking it would spring open . No it did not ,now i am thinking how bad is this having to ask how how to fill your car up . Pushed on the hinged end of the fuel flap and out it pops . Thank fark for that .

tgray, Jul 30, 9:41am
As a dealer, I would never refuse a request to put gas in.
A full tank would be given upon request only. (again, only happened twice in 20 years).

phoenix22, Jul 30, 11:05am
All good, I am surprised more people don't ask to be honest

cjohnw, Jul 30, 11:12am
On average, what are the prices of the vehicles you are mostly selling, and what sort of repeat business do you get?

kazbanz, Jul 30, 12:26pm
From my POV ensuring every car has "about" 1/4 tank of fuel is just common sense.It ensures no chance of running out on a test drive and no chance the fuel pump is going to get "cooked"
But beyond that. With a full tank costing $100 it has to be something factored into the deal--ie on the VOSA
with margins nowadays down to sod all you can't afford to give away anything.

greeny, Jul 30, 12:57pm
My past 4 cars have been brand new All were delivered with a full tank without having to ask.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 1:04pm
Haha, reminds me of the time we were looking to change cars. this is years ago now, and we were at some small time yard in New Lynn, no doubt long gone. Every car we asked to look at and take for a drive, the rooster had to go up the road to the garage with a tin because every car was out of juice. Didn't make him look overly professional lol.

bumfacingdown, Jul 30, 1:30pm
How many trade their car in with a full tank of gas?

kazbanz, Jul 30, 1:32pm
yea funny when shoes on the other foot.