How long after buying vehicle from private seller?

Page 2 / 2
lythande1, Oct 12, 9:30pm
No.
Buyer beware.
Should have checked it first, or had someone knowledgeable do so.

poppy62, Oct 12, 9:30pm
Toyota said I! But Jesus said: God! you talk some sh!t.
jesus2000
I guess he was backing up the 12th Disciple (OP). What do I know and is that anyway to speak to your Dad?

jesus2000, Oct 13, 7:19am
As someone else said, it sounds more like a faulty speed sensor.

My Commodore VE SV6 once developed a faulty speed sensor on one of the wheel hubs and threw the ABS warning light and disabled stability control. I could even be sitting in park with the handbrake on with the car idling and the speedo would be showing 12kph and then it would also start flashing that I was driving with the handbrake on. Simple things like that can cause the car all sorts of confusion.

A 1998 Toyota Carib probably has a single speed sensor on the transmission somewhere.

https://youtu.be/4Duih994lEM

tgray, Oct 13, 8:39am
Take their deal and count yourself very lucky they offered it.
Put the $200 down to a lesson learned.

budgel, Oct 13, 9:47am
I think the vendor is being very reasonable as they are under no obligation to refund anything.
About the best outcome you could have hoped for!

franc123, Oct 13, 10:25am
Count yourself lucky

kazbanz, Oct 13, 11:48am
You got VERY lucky. I assume that none of these faults showed up during the PP inspection or the decent test drive.

onesel, Oct 13, 3:16pm
Cheers everyone. Your information and help are much appreciated. Yes, lesson learned. It always feels as if a burden has become lighter after asking for help and after talking about it. Thank you all.

kazbanz, Oct 13, 3:37pm
So are you heading out to buy a replacement car?

johnston, Oct 13, 4:06pm
Good outcome. Despite what some posted you did have recourse. While you are not a consumer in terms of the CGA you had common law remedies available to you.

jmma, Oct 13, 4:34pm
Buy a lotto ticket now as well :oP

tgray, Oct 13, 5:27pm
The bottom line is any 22 year old car for under 3K is going to have a number of faults.
Do your homework and get the next one checked out first.

kazbanz, Oct 13, 5:45pm
NOT for an issue that arose a period of time post sale regardless of how long.
Pre existing non disclosed I'd say you have some chance particularly if its a WOF issue and the car isn't sold as is where is.

gamefisher, Nov 7, 12:42pm
By law a person cannot sell something intentionally with a known fault, but this can be very difficult to prove. I know this as a fact because I had a claim against me at a dispute tribunal. In my case the buyer created the fault and didn’t turn up to the dispute hearing.