Toyota Hilux Injector problems

Page 2 / 4
mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:43am
But that's the thing, there is NO SERVICE REQUIREMENT. It was "invented" later.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:44am
Mate, the guys at Toyota didn't even know.

3tomany, Feb 27, 5:47am
wasnt the valve clearance check to help the engine stop running to hot and cracking heads! someone here might know better

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:49am
When injector seat washers fail, on every compression stroke, a little bit of blow by ends up past the injector and its oil seal, thus introducing bits of carbon through the oil. When this carbon mixes with oil in the crankcase, it slowly but surely blocks up the oil pick up screen, thus starving the engine of oil.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:51am
They have a shim type adjustment. Once set, they are usually good for at least 200 000kms.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:51am
Nothing to do with OP's problem.

brokebloke1, Feb 27, 5:54am
I maybe wrong but werent they shimmed simlier to the old Cortina OHC motors I remember doing them on the old cortina about every 30-40000kms

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:55am
I'd bet you wouldn't have a clue what's involved with one these engines when it comes to servicing.

aaanda, Feb 27, 5:57am
We have had our Toyota since new and was regularly serviced by Toyota . There has been no record of seals having been done every 45,000kms.
We have since spoken to 4 aquaintances who also have Toyota Hiluxes (same year) who all had their injectors and seals replaced by Toyota who apparently for a short time were replacing them.
There is a problem here and they need to stand by their product!

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 5:57am
Pass.

Old Pinto engines didn't have shims anyway. They had rockers under the cam lobes and you needed crow foot spanners to adjust them.

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 6:00am
Exactly. My client spent a lot of time shoving his old injectors up somebody's backsides because of it, but to no avail. He had to fork out all the $$$ for repairs. Toyota's reply was "oh no, never heard of that before".
Although Johnf_456 clearly knows better.

frytime, Feb 27, 6:01am
as far as i know, it has been since 05 to remove injectors to check valve clearence every 45k. the new hilux (the last face lift) that it's not required

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 6:05am
We were never able to get a service manual for them.

frytime, Feb 27, 6:18am
they weren't printed. TNZ have 2 cd copys of it. one is 'working' and avalable on line for toyota staff and the other is a back up

jason18, Feb 27, 6:21am
Ah whats up with all these new utes.Navaras throwing rods! Toyotas seem to be having all kinds of problems. I would actually go for a VW ute to be honest they look the bizo

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 6:34am
VW's ! LOL! Yeah right. Seriously though, if looking at utes, I'd be looking at Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger. That's just my opinion though. Holden Colorado (Isuzu D-Max) has had problems with fuel shut off solenoids and I've seen only one with a waste gate diaphragm packing up. Not exactly big problems. I'm still patiently waiting for Mitsubishis to pop, but they have proven to be OK so far.

3tomany, Feb 27, 6:39am
every one who owns a ute should look at the ranger/bt50 awsome utes and the engine should be good as its not realy new being a 5 cylander volvo engine

kingfisher21, Feb 27, 6:43am
LOL, wouldn't go there either, missus was driving a 50,000km old BT-50 on Saturday, cruising on the highway, temp guage climbed instantly pretty much to hot and next second it promptly threw a rod all over the road.

3tomany, Feb 27, 6:45am
what was the cause

kingfisher21, Feb 27, 6:55am
Undetermined yet, vehicle was maintained according to schedule by dealer, wasn't being thrashed, just had a service the week prior, coolant was still full and all drive belts still there.

johnf_456, Feb 27, 7:09am
Why do you say that, you always seem to like issuing insults implying I don't know anything! I have come across this problem before in the past,but even dealers do get things wrong from time to time. We all do and have experience with certain issues where as others like yourself have not heard of it. After speaking to a toyota mechanic a few months back hes had a few, he said it was not common common but it has common. But yes done some myself.

3tomany, Feb 27, 7:11am
a stone through the radiator !

n3d4sp3d, Feb 27, 7:38am
trade the lux in on a gls triton, itl sht on the hilux both whats under the hood, in the cab and the chassis.

a.woodrow, Feb 27, 7:56am
Toyota copped a lot of flack over the hilux injectors. they always had "inspect and adjust valve clearances" in the major services, and yes the byproduct of this was that the injectors were removed, requiring new seats. however most issues have all generated from poor fuel and/or contamination. every hilux that we fitted with an additional aftermarket filter had no injector problems. Many that we saw with problems were being supplied with farm tank fuel (though not all) Clean fuel is paramount to the continued running of these engines. I know that some dealers skipped doing the valve clearance check as many customers kicked a fuss, same with holden rodeo, their interval for valve clearance checks is only 20k. Working for toyota for the past 5 or so years I saw only two injector failures as described by OP. However we replaced many many injectors to remedy the noise issue (which is unrelated)

mugenb20b, Feb 27, 7:58am
That's because it's true. All you do is read other people's comments, and back them up because you think they make sense making you look like you know something.