Dealers and the 'Closing LInes' they cough up

Page 1 / 4
mcscottwgtn, May 9, 2:24am
Is the following line standard dealer 101 fodder!
'When will you be making your decision!'
This was after failing to answer the bulk of the questions I had about the car. How does the dealer expect the punter to know when they will make the decision, especially considering the lack of knowledge of the product they are trying to sell.

poppajn, May 9, 2:29am
Best line I heard was "very poular, can,t get enough of them"
And when you go to sell it back, it,s "this type of car is just not moveing at present".

jasongroves, May 9, 2:31am
"When I have decided." Is generally when I make my decision.

bellky, May 9, 2:45am
All about getting you to commit.

mcscottwgtn, May 9, 2:48am
It's a line I have heard before. I comes across a bit daft. It's like being asked to predict the future. Or maybe they expect you to list the ducks you want lined up to make a decision.

woody1946, May 9, 3:45am
Yep, and another one is where they ask "so, which one will you be taking, the red one over there (points) or the silver one in the showroom " or words to that effect

a.woodrow, May 9, 3:47am
Salesmanship 101 - Always ask for the sale.

Problem is, some don't do it well

elect70, May 9, 3:50am
The other line is-anotherguy isvery keen at it &iscoming bacxk tomorrow., or,these modelssell quickly& very popular

a.woodrow, May 9, 3:54am
Haha I had that one pulled on me a few years back salesman said I had to make a decision right away he had another guy that had looked at it, so I told them that's cool I don't believe in cutting in front of someone else and left the office and started walking to my car. I didn't get out of their yard before the sales manager caught up with me apologising about the salesman

bellky, May 9, 3:59am
This one time (at band camp) I was interested in a car on a lot, so took it for test drive but left it saying I would do some more research. I went to the library (didn't have internet in those days) did my reasearch and concluded that the car was not actually what he was selling it as. When I phoned the salesman to tell him I won't be buying it and that it was not actually what he was trying to pass it off as he replied "I thought you were a bit smarter than that". Lol.

kazbanz, May 9, 4:05am
What exactly were the questions you asked!
What your best price!
What discount for cash!
Or there's the old treasure-How long have you had it!
In which case asking you in return -so when are you looking to make a purchase ! sounds a reasonable question. -If you aren't making a commitment to buy then asking that sort of question
Or was it questions specific to that car!

mcscottwgtn, May 9, 4:14am
The dealer didn't know the product they were selling (eg getting the fuel consumption wrong, not knowing the features of the car). Couldn't give a price for accessories. Couldn't give a price for the trade in.
Don't know how the dealer expects the punter to decide on anything without answering the punters questions. The test drive was 3km which I felt was a tad short to decide anything. Hopeless, I will try a different dealer.

kazbanz, May 9, 4:21am
HA HA HA -I had a guy pull that stunt on meabout two weeks ago. -real smarmy bugger. He came back the next day all cocksure.started looking the car over again and was told "I'm sorry that car is sold" -which in fact it was -to the person I said was coming back to buy it.

kazbanz, May 9, 4:24am
Ok given you area LONG way away from me I just have to ask-what was the car and what "stuff" did you want the dealer to do for you!
was it "the dealer" you were talking to ora salesman!
So far it sounds like you were asking reasonable questions.The stupid part is -I can see 4 opertunitiesjust there to find out how keen you are on that car without having to ask the hard questions.

mcscottwgtn, May 9, 4:32am
The card says Sales Consultant.The car is a Mazda CX-5.I expect the dealer to know the product and answer questions about the product they are trying to flog off.If they dont know the answer, they should offer to get back to the punter with the answer.They no doubt get info prior to a new car launch and even go to the launch event itself.

bellky, May 9, 4:34am
You think^. Reminds me of a word you used above. If you came across me on a yard (and you wouldn't) you'd only know what I tell you.

mcscottwgtn, May 9, 4:37am
They didn't have the spec I wanted on the yard, only bottom and mid range spec.

kazbanz, May 9, 4:42am
Yep well no comment --I only sell used cars but when something new turns upI'm in out,in. underandthrough it to figure out all its little secrets BEFORE the punters see it. -I just found out the middle row of seats on a 05 mazda MPV BOTH slide sideways -which is a kinda cool feature.
But again--a clever sales "consultant" would have said. "look I honestly don't know'--"but lets find out together"

mcscottwgtn, May 9, 4:56am
One thing I wanted to know was the 'Coefficent of drag' for the car. Dealer went on about the stereo. I just wanted to know how good a job the design team had done ie under 0.3 is good.

kazbanz, May 9, 4:58am
Ahh poop- I don't wanna be a smart alechere but often that is exactly the case.-One minute you just can't get enough of a make/model --the next you have 5 sitting there and they just aint selling.--its a funny ol buisiness

a.woodrow, May 9, 5:05am
TBH cod is something that most salesman would not know, including the ones at the dealer.

a.woodrow, May 9, 5:06am
Yep I bet that happens too! In my case I had a feeling the salesman was trying it on, and I was right.

rovercitroen, May 9, 5:16am
A question I have asked dealers over the years when buying a car is "If I came to you with this car as it is right now what would YOU give me for it!" I have no worries about a dealer making a reasonable profit, in fact they must to stay in business, but I have been offered many downright rude trade - in / difference figures over the years. Like 30-40% under retail as a trade. Geez, real estate agents only charge 4% and a lot of people reckon they are a rip off!

a.woodrow, May 9, 5:23am
Really depend on the price of a car in the first place. Offering 40% less on a 10k car would be quite reasonable, remember they have to groom, touch up, fix any faults, new wof, maybe service, pay rent, power, wages, advertising, phone, insurance, PLUS they have to stand by what they sell in event of a breakdown. Not as much profit as you think

gunhand, May 9, 6:02am
I reckon thesalesman, consultant, shark, dealer, purveyor of fine four wheeled items or whatever name is correct these days would have an interesting tail to tell somehow.