WRX the issue that keeps going on

Page 1 / 9
pc_evo, Aug 12, 2:01am
Ok, so after much money being spent at a mechanic.

My 02 WRX (STANDARD) still has boost issues.

He replaced MAF cause it was leaning out, also replaced faulty boost control solenoid cause it wasnt working well either.

Now what happens is, boosts fine, till about 3000 RPM then its like it hits a flat spot drops a little, to say 10psi, then tries to get back up to 13 again.

He had it on a computer and it has consisten 13psi till around the 3000 mark, then its like the engine retards itself.

Could this be fuel! (he said it could be due to running it on 95 but im not so sure) but i can try 98.

Could it be faulty knock sensor! doesnt throw up any error codes or anything.

Or could it be that it needs re-mapped!

im at the end of my rope, any suggestions would be great. Tested on wastegate only pressure and worked fine.

Have tried clubsub, they suggested knock sensor, but im not getting a CEL code.

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 2:14am
Would you DEFINETLY get a CEL code if knock sensor! Thats probably ya next best bet

pc_evo, Aug 12, 2:19am
Your saying definite CEL code if its knock sensor! doesnt throw up any codes.

Just to confirm, whats best way to test for CEL codes, done a bit of reading but it gets confusing, different people have strange ideas

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 2:27am
I'd be inclined to look at the knock sensor even without codes, it really should be giving you a code of some sort though. Did you read through those 2 links I posted in the last thread, its pretty easy reading and you'll find the plugs under your dash. You really dont need a fancy machine to read that sh*t straight from the dash.

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 2:30am

pc_evo, Aug 12, 2:35am
yeah mate doing it now, just got confused as some posts it talks about driving at 11km or more, but iv got it sorted now, basically, connect the 2 black ones, turn it on, see how many times it flashes. If it doesnt flash at all no code! to reset it, connect black AND the green together (black to black green to green) then start the car, drive at 11kmhr wait to see if it flashes a code or just continues flashing steadily.

What i did notice is, i suggested to my mechanic yesterday that he reset the ECU, so he connected some wires *not sure which ones* turned ignition to on, the fan fired up and down up and down, engine light continuously flashed, but he did not drive the car, so maybe the ECU still needs reset!

Thoughts!

dent, Aug 12, 2:39am
is the air box standard!

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 2:41am
Not sure if mechanic reset or not.

Whats written above is correct. Check and see if you have a code. 1 long flash *10's* short flash *1's*.

What did you get!

pc_evo, Aug 12, 2:54am
doode. what color wires come out of the black connectors! had good look under dash only one set under there and already connected. but when I turn car to on just constant cel not flashing. has he left them hooked up! if I had wire colors I could verify

dent, Aug 12, 3:02am
subarus have two connectors black set with one wire and green set with two. Under normal operation they should be disconnected. Connecting them will turn the fans on.

pc_evo, Aug 12, 3:10am
ok so my black ones have two white and red going in one side. green ones have one red and black one side one green and white the other. normal!

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 3:40am
Just checked mine black connectors with one wire each. Are you looking left hand side of steering column

pc_evo, Aug 12, 3:43am
yeah but can't see them there :-(

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 3:51am
As mentioned earlier does it have pod filter!

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 3:54am
If you undo those 2 does the cel light go out

pc_evo, Aug 12, 3:56am
on left clutch side of steering column nothing there at all. on right the two green connected them with black connected started car made cel flash drove at 11k an hour to get code. nothing just constant flash. stopped disconnected tried black only nothing. just constant light on no flash. disconnected all. started car pulled afm off to create cel car stalled. plugged back in started car constant cel on. tried connecting black for flashing nothing. tried black and green to reset nothing. still have cel light on

pc_evo, Aug 12, 4:03am
cel light now off no flash

dent, Aug 12, 4:18am
pc_evo what air filter have you got on the subaru. Factory or pod type.

pc_evo, Aug 12, 4:24am
Factory Air filter, in original box, just replaced, had a K&N one, but was fouled, so replaced with a "normal" one.

As an update, dont know wtf is going on with my black connectors, i connect or disconnect them, CEL light is constant on, e.g. does not change. I connect the green ones and the light flashes, drive the car, doesnt produce a code.

Where can i go from here! im tempted to take to Armstrongs in timaru tomorrow to get them to sort it, but the labour charges are astronomical

pc_evo, Aug 12, 4:27am
when the car is started with the black connectors on or off there is NO CEL light on

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 4:29am
Did you replace the Air Flow Meter or have it checked when you reinstated the factory airbox!

TBH, its pretty hard to sort this over the net. Armstrongs maybe the go

outbidyou2, Aug 12, 4:33am
Last ditch effort on the connectors dude. They can sometimes be tapped to the steering column quite far up under. Theyre not always hanging down unless someone has been there before.

pc_evo, Aug 12, 4:38am
Ok cheers ill have another look, im fairly sure there the right ones, just the wires are weird. hence hte green ones made the light flash, black ones look right its just the number of wires in each that is strange. replaced AFM, always was factory box, had it tested buy a guy that builds racecars he deduced it was running lean, replace AFM fixed that problem

pc_evo, Aug 12, 4:40am
The thing that bothers me is, if im not getting a CEL, and i take it to armstrongs, i might spend f*kin heaps on labour just for them to get to the problem.

dent, Aug 12, 4:56am
why dont you just take it there and ask them to scan it for fault codes by connecting in to the diagnostics connector. Then see what comes up. Should only be 70 dollars or so.