Advice please commodore

Page 3 / 4
skull, Oct 15, 7:50am
I thought he only had a VW disorder and now see he also has sadomasicism disorder as well.

clark20, Oct 15, 9:42am
Buy the VE , resale will be better for longer, and it was a huge upgrade over the VZ. Better at everything and stick with the V6, the V8 does use a lot of gas.

richardmayes, Oct 15, 10:22am
I've driven a few VZs - including an SV6. Alright car but not as amazing as you would think from looking at all the legions of HOLDEN HOLDEN HOLDEN people.

The SV6 seems to be just a spoiler kit and different mags on a pretty basic spec car that does not have a lot of x-factor to it. Harsh noisy back axle. Don't really handle, they get a real wallow on if you try to string a sequence of corners together. Ugly grey/black plastic interior. Decent amount of power but not anything to get excited about. I've heard people on here say the 3.6 Alloytec engine installation in this body is excessively difficult to do certain certain basic maintenance jobs on without lowering the engine.

All of these things to me are tolerable in something like an Acclaim stationwagon which is just a big, no-nonsense truck for hauling a lot of kids and a lot of gear around at decent pace on the highway. But in a supposedly desirable go-faster model sports saloon with its own identity ("SV6") it is all just a bit disappointing.IMHO.

Sorry but I just fail to see why people get so passionate about these cars!

Maybe the new shape VE is a much better car in every way and all of these things have been fixed.!

(I'm not a Ford guy or a Holden guy, I'm just a car guy. but I really liked the BA XR6 falcon of the same age, those are a nice car although apparently you need to look out for rust and a couple of other things.)

paulap, Oct 15, 6:09pm
Has only done 180,000 and I have had it since 108,000.

magicmat, Oct 15, 6:21pm
If you feel you are getting good mileage out of your V6 and petrol is a concern you should avoid the V8. They are shocking fuel wise and I have found most of the expected fuel consumption statements are optimistic at best. I would say 15+ litres per 100km is more realistic. Lot better on the open road though but still very thirsty.

splinter67, Oct 15, 6:25pm
yup but a lot more fun than your average boring jappa

splinter67, Oct 15, 6:42pm
Now thats strange richard the xr6 is a trim package where the sv6 has quite a few differences tothe standard commodore are you sure your not a ford person

magicmat, Oct 15, 7:08pm
Oh yea that is for sure. The big Aussie cars are also great for person my size as I have plenty of room to stretch my legs out too.

But the gas is shocker. that reminds me, mine was beeping that she is thirsty again so I will be back at the gas station.again.

spongefrisk, Oct 15, 8:33pm
that is strange as well.
I thought the XR6 had a different diff, different suspension and a different gearbox. but if you consider those things trim:)

pge, Oct 15, 8:50pm
Jeez -- you'd be a cheap date .

budgel, Oct 15, 9:05pm
Never Borrow money for depreciating assets!

olsod2, Oct 15, 11:32pm
magic do u own a v8.i drive one from westport to christchurch.also own a suzuki escudo,the difference in fuel is 12 lts in 330 ks.given the comfort the power when needed the v8 tops them.

magicmat, Oct 16, 5:20am
Yes an LS1 VX but dont get me wrong, I adore it and you didnt buy a V8 expecting great fuel economy. That being said, even with my expectation of high fuel consumption it still exceeds what I thought it would use.

gunhand, Oct 16, 5:40am
Is it your money they are paying it off with!And which items are you allowd to pay offf that don't depreciate!Gold maybe! but it does to.
If someone wants a nicer car and it is within there means to pay it off so be it.Im sure they will be awhere they will pay interest on it and it will go down in value. Ive paid cars off and useually well before the period is up but if I was to attempt to save the same amount it would never happen due to all lifes other items you need to live, Kids, wives etc. Do you not know what happens when the wife realises you have a bit of cash in ya wallet LOL.
Its those who tick things up with no ability to pay that need looked at, and those types tend to trash the items as well.

strobo, Oct 16, 5:44am
Go for this option . max out paid& paid for in no time"VE SV6 95,000km for $18,400, yep another 5k"youll never regret buying a quality Holden .big plus it is not just a car it is also a much desired Holden ;)
ps Don'ttake any notice of the willy nilly rice burner ownersyap!

magicmat, Oct 16, 5:56am
I have to say that I have owned all kinds of cars from rotaries to the much lauded VTEC powered Hondas but my Holden has been by far the most dependable car I have ever owned. Other than a fuel pump just after I bought it (a common weakness apparently) it flies through warrants and seems to be bullet proof. Its a basic machine but I just cannot fault it as it delivers on all fronts from simply getting from 'A' to 'B' to raw power.

Well almost all fronts other than fuel consumption but hey.

splinter67, Oct 16, 5:58am
But ya look cool when your driving it

strobo, Oct 16, 6:05am
Fuel injection = regulated fuel flow ,precisely metered fuel /air delivery //lower revs where the others are reving their guts out to keep up. so it is all relative to driving habitsas well , Gas guzzelers my arrrrrs! if that's a concernthen get on ya bike lol
As for ecomomyHolden isefficiencyon cruise& qualitywith comfort ofride Holden wins hands down,I really Love my Holdens .

strobo, Oct 16, 6:13am
Fuel pump is common& is no downer on Holden .Euro cars bmw ,audi all just as badwith pumps, have just put my second one in mine & few other jobs ,it is called looking after ya car , but thats the "joys" of motoring .

cowboy110, Oct 16, 6:18am
I've got a 2006 SV8.Mostly round town running and never goes over 13 l/100ks.On a trip it's under 10.The best thing I've done is fit cold air induction.That LS1 can't breath with the restrictive factory intake.Down side is it's done 120000 ks and I've had to replace the thermo fans (seized up and stopped working) and the front brake rotors will need replacing next.Neither of these are overly expensive but should have probably lasted better.All in all, V8 Holden.hell yeah.

broomewood, Oct 17, 2:51am
I've got a VT 5.7 V8 with a cast iron block and i can 11.0L/per 100 ks on a trip.

magicmat, Oct 17, 3:51am
Yep as you advised me before I bought mine, you have to go Mafless to let them breathe but even then they still suck the juice.

jkm, Oct 17, 4:04am
I have the VT with LS1,Has over radiator cold air intake and chip has been remapped, also after market extractors. HP is up from 225 to 280HP on the dyno. Filled it recently on a trip and got 360km on 32 litres, but that was trundleing along at the speed limit mainly.Very happy with the fuel consumption.

jkm, Oct 17, 4:07am
Hey magic takes ya about 2 years to learn not to put the "boot" in. I turn the radio off around town just so I can here the motor purring while waiting at the lights!

jkm, Oct 17, 4:11am
As for the build quality they arent the flashest cars out there but then they dont cost the earth either. Disclaimer I have not driven or owned a VE.

Bought the wife a VW Beetle cause she always wanted one. Goes ok but I would say far more plastic than the Holden!