Buying a new car - just avoid car dealers?

Page 1 / 3
beki07, Nov 22, 6:28am
Car took its last breath yesterday much to my despair. So have three days to find and buy a new one. Found one I like on trademe, it closed before I had a chance to view (closed 2 hours after i saw it), fixed price offer was $3350.
It was relisted and i contacted them (car dealer) asking if I could view the vehicle tomorrow, if so, what was the address and a time that suited.
Reply was "Buy Now $3550" . ah all i'm asking at this stage is to view the car! Texted back repeating my original question, no reply.

My car that just died was purchased from a dealer off trademe. Lasted 3 months and cost me a fortune. Guy was dodgy. Thought it was a one off bad experience but starting to think they are all dodgy.

What are you experiences. Should I just avoid any auction that is a dealer! Or am i being paranoid!
I have limited time to get a car, but not interested in getting ripped off again

unbeatabull, Nov 22, 6:30am
More important to get the car thoroughly checked by a mechanic you trust beforehand.

Some dealers are great, some aren't. Some private sellers are great, some aren't. Is a case by case scenario really, the best thing you can do is just get the car correctly and thoroughly checked beforehand so you know of any potential risks of buying the vehicle etc before handing the money over.

andrea_w, Nov 22, 6:35am
There will be a few people on here who will want to know more details and may be able to offer help/advice. you may have recourse with this!
What type of car! How did it die! Auction or classified! Price you paid! Kms! etc

splinter67, Nov 22, 6:40am
Depends on how many $ you want to spend and if you have cash or want credit

beki07, Nov 22, 6:41am
Thanks for that, my mechanic is 40minutes away from the car dealer ship. Do you think they would allow me to take it their to be checked over!

kazbanz, Nov 22, 6:43am
Beki given you had a bad experience buying a car from a "dealer" last time why on earth would you want to risk not having the full protection of the law! Buy anything at auction and you have no protection.
Aren't you better off with all the normal cover under the CGA and SOGA!Ie buy from classified listings!
Incidently-andrea is bang on right. If you have only had yourexisting car 3 months and bought from a dealer you should have recourse.
Unless it was an as is where isauction vehicle. In that caseyou need to have checked it out out before concidering placing a bid.
Im not having a go at you but something sounds wrong.
The dealer auctioning the car-did you phone him or send a text enquiry!What exact words did you use!

andrea_w, Nov 22, 6:44am
Also, there is a dealer out west I've heard nothing but good things about. it's probably worth checking out what he's got
http://www.millcars.co.nz/vehicle-list.aspx

clark20, Nov 22, 6:46am
He is good, but may not have cars that cheap.

beki07, Nov 22, 6:57am
It was a horrible battle with the car dealer, to the point were he was threatening when I was concerned about why the car made a grinding sound when i test drove it, he even took the keys out of my car ignition when our discussion got heated and i tried to leave. I ended up buying it, three of them, one of me (small female) and didn't have my cell so couldn't even call the cops or a friend to help me out of the situation. I sound like a push over, but after a hour I just wanted to get out of there. yada yada, anyway i have moved on from it and am now looking for car number two

beki07, Nov 22, 6:58am
I have cash but only $3500, wasn't expecting the car to crap out so soon.

andrea_w, Nov 22, 7:04am
Wow. name and shame!
So you're not interested in potentially taking him to court to get some/all of your money back! If so, answer the questions :) There are some well respected car dealers that post on here and can offer you unbiased advice on what you can/can't do in this situation

beki07, Nov 22, 7:04am
I could definitely take the previous dealer to court and win but am currently recovering from not only a broken back but also a cancer scare and I am trying to stay stress free. So for the sake of my health am trying to avoid stress and even thinking about my previous experience does the absolute opposite.

My exact words via text (tried to call, was not answered).

Text one:Hello, i'm interested in viewing your toyota caldina on trademe. Is viewing tomorrow during the day possible! thank you.

Reply from dealer: 3550 Buy now.

Text two: Is it possible to view during the day tomorrow! What is the address for viewing! Will arrange a time with you if its possible.

Reply from dealer: Yes afternoon is fine. U hapy wit price I wont negotiate. txt 2morow for adres

At this stage scrapping it, i'm not going to agree to any price without seeing the car. The reserve is lower then 3550 anyway, and was fix price offered for under 3550 anyway yesterday. I really need to no the address now so i can plan how long it will take me and arrange a extended lunch break. He isn't answering his phone, all seems a bit odd

kazbanz, Nov 22, 7:05am
Beki -I just don't know how to respond to that post.Im UTTERLYgobsmacked that one human being could treat another like that.
That seriously SUCKS.
Im hearing that you are "over it" but they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that. Theres a court in place especially to deal with Motor vehicle disputes.
BUT--Ok you wanna move on. NO MATTER WHAT --any car you concider buying needs to have a decent mechanical inspection.

beki07, Nov 22, 7:07am
Should note, with such limited time to find a suitable car i'm am looking at auctions and classifications. But so far all the suitable cars have been auctions. Its very frustrating. Going to the car fair this weekend as well. I'm well aware i'm pretty clueless when it comes to vehicles. So have my partner coming along and he will view everything, if he approves then mechanical check.

beki07, Nov 22, 7:08am
thanks, afraid they are out of my price range. I've been putting money aside for a vehicle for months but afraid this car died too soon. Was hoping to have atleast 5-6k. Ah well

splinter67, Nov 22, 7:09am
Depends what car you want and if you can get credit go to a dealer one where you live not one off the internet get the car checked by a mechanic or someone you know who knows about cars

skull, Nov 22, 7:10am
You need to go accompanied to wherever you buy a car from. Anyone that can be "Forced" to buy a car needs to have someone with them at all times.

beki07, Nov 22, 7:10am
I've considered doing that, but not sure if you can legally name and shame a business without getting done for slander! in saying that i would win that case too. Any other time in my life I would fight them and make a whole lot of drama . BUT, at this stage i really need to look after my health.

beki07, Nov 22, 7:16am
Considering i was alone, very sick at the time and had no ability to get back up did make it very hard. Its easy to judge someone but i'm naturally a very strong person and wouldn't put up with that. Sadly at the time I was not well, weak, tired and had three Indian men (who had my keys) being extremely forceful. I desperately needed a vehicle to get too and from doctors appointments and yes i gave in. But that wouldn't happen now, when your extremely sick, its a lot harder to cope in those kind of situations. I hope you never have to experience that.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 7:16am
It isn't slander if you state 100% the FACTS. Its slander if its lies.
Can I guess that the "dealer" was fairly close to you -Glen eden way maybee -a bit of a gravel pit maybee. -Just guessin mind you.
Keep in mind beki that the blown up bomb may have some value to a reputeable dealer as a trade in .
What exactly is the car that went bang on you!

beki07, Nov 22, 7:17am
Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll stay away from auctions, and will start the hunt for a car. Yes I will have someone with me and yes i will not buy any vehicle without a full mechanical check up by my mechanic.

I'm going offline now.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 7:18am
NO NO NO -you are missing the point. He isn't passing judgement on YOU -hes judging some of the scumbag dealers that are out there.
Sick or healthy -3 men standing over one woman just isn't kosher in my book

beki07, Nov 22, 7:21am
Mitsubishi Legnum (surprise surprise), i'm now going for a toyota. should have stayed with a car i had lots of good experience with. Nope the car dealer is in onehunga. I'll get all my facts together (exactly what was said ect and make a seperate board about it to warn others), your right if its all 100% true with proof then its not slander

beki07, Nov 22, 7:23am
oh whoops! I thought they were implying I needed someone with me as was too 'weak - using for lack of a better word' to look after myself when buying a car.

kazbanz, Nov 22, 7:27am
Im guessing you need a wagon to transport your waggy freinds.
I suspect you probably know my wife or at least her mum and dad.
They have a "herd" of Malumuts out kumeu way and own a local dogfood factory.