EVs to buffer national power supply peaks

Page 3 / 3
, Oct 12, 6:12pm
Hydrogen vehicles are all fuel cell based, so your creating hydrogen, which is a very energy intensive process, just to turn it back into electricity to run an electric motor to drive the car. Once you have decent batteries, which we now have, it becomes a bit pointless.

mechnificent, Oct 13, 9:50am
Yeah.

harm_less, Oct 13, 12:35pm
Thanks for your correction to my earlier post. I'm obviously not totally up on hydrogen vehicles but as it seems to be a dead end technology I'll probably stay that way.

mechnificent, Oct 13, 1:44pm
But what about the boobs ?

, Oct 13, 2:49pm
But there's no acid in the batteries, and at least in Tesla cars the batteries are proving to last far longer than the motor in your Honda 50.

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-400k-km-250k-mi-7-percent-battery-degradation/

Didn't your Honda 50 get here by ship? Pretty sure it did.

mechnificent, Oct 13, 3:04pm
Vincent rode it here. Him and God are mates. And his hot babe has big boobs.

apollo11, Oct 16, 1:26pm
So vinnie, where does the hydrogen come from?

, Oct 16, 3:25pm
Vinnie's not good with physics.

tony9, Oct 16, 3:31pm
From solar power!

A while ago the sun and Chlorophyll did its thing with co2 and H2o and formed various carbohydrates. This got subject to gravity and more solar radiation (heating the earth) and pyrolyzed into Hydrocarbons. These are extracted from the ground and when it burns the hydrogen combines with Oxygen in the air to release a lot of energy (along with the carbon atoms to form CO2 and more energy) .

A nice efficient cycle, all driven by solar energy. And still renewing.

, Oct 16, 3:41pm
Yeah, but the cycle to get the Hydrocarbons back in the ground takes way to long when compared to the time taking it out and extracting the energy. It will end in tears.

tony9, Oct 16, 3:52pm
Maybe, maybe not.

We are finding oil reserves faster than we are using oil, we know the pyrolysis is still happening, but cannot quantify it.

And pyrolysis of new vegetation and other carbohydrates gets better and cheaper all the time - the energy used in domestic vehicles that is derived from current bio's far exceeds the energy for vehicles stored in chemical batteries.

The bottom line is that hydrocarbon based fuel is easier and cheaper to transport and has a very much high energy density than chemical conversion cells.

apollo11, Oct 16, 3:54pm
This is an interesting idea: https://creation.com/how-fast-can-oil-form

mechnificent, Oct 16, 4:07pm
lol. creation.com.

, Oct 16, 4:23pm
Agreed lol. religion. everywhere :(

apollo11, Oct 16, 4:24pm
Lol. Didn't spot that, who reads that garbage?

mechnificent, Oct 16, 5:04pm
Ha. It's a great theory though. "creation".

apollo11, Oct 16, 5:19pm
I only read it for the articles lol.

mechnificent, Oct 16, 5:20pm
haha. That's what I used to say. when I got caught.

marte, Oct 16, 10:14pm
I think we should pump granulated plastic waste back down into the old oil wells and let nature take its course and turn it back into oil.

And use waste glass for fracking.

apollo11, Oct 16, 10:18pm
I think we should pump fat hollywood movie directors down there as well, let them turn into oil.

apollo11, Dec 25, 5:42pm
OK vinnie, to get the hydrogen they use electricity in a process called electrolysis, which is around 50% efficient. There are materials issues with hydrogen embrittlement and hydrogen is a tough material to contain. It is highly explosive, odourless and burns with a colourless flame. It then needs to be passed through a fuel cell which will lose you another 20% of your efficiency, and then to spin a motor which might be 90-95% efficient. And even then you'd want a battery or capacitor bank onboard so you could make use of regenerative braking. And then there is the infrastructure, how will the hydrogen be transported and stored? You are going to need some expensive storage tanks for that. You should do some reading up on it, it is a possible solution in some situations, ie when you have large volumes of electricity from wind turbines or solar that would otherwise be wasted, you can use hydrogen as a storage medium to then power a standard generator, but I'm not sure if it's right for transport. Please do some reading on solid state battery cells, they will be on the market in a couple of years and they will be half the weight of li-ion, totally inert and charge faster. Plus they will last much longer. See what Toyota are doing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkonaQp3NdY