Personal appearance. Car dealer

Page 3 / 4
phoenix22, Jul 29, 3:13pm
Blerk, what a way to teach people. I'd like to think times have changed, but I can guarantee there are still sales people out there just like that.

2sheddies, Jul 29, 4:03pm
I'm with you on this. The term 'mate' is traditionally accepted Kiwi slang and/or term of endearment and its not something that would be of any concern to me. Hell I use it enough.

poppy62, Jul 29, 7:06pm
Nah Mate! You should know what mates do and I definitely don't want to be matey with any old Tom, Dick & Harry.

sr2, Jul 29, 8:29pm
Jeeeze, hand me the Kleenex, I'm actually agreeing with one of mals posts.

Edited to say: I love the thread: big chocolate fish to Kaz!

2sheddies, Jul 30, 12:57pm
Yeah mate, I prefer a casual relaxed sorta atmosphere, makes me feel more at ease and like you say, don't want some stuck up, self important suit wearer looking down on ya.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 12:59pm
Maaaaate. known a couple of Tom's, they were okay, think I've met a Harry or two, but yeah, I've met a helluva lot of Dicks that I sure wouldn't want to call a mate!

kazbanz, Jul 30, 1:44pm
Serious question guys.Whats the issue with running shoes?

bigfatmat1, Jul 30, 4:18pm
Not lycra.

ronaldo8, Jul 30, 4:39pm
Tells you they are expecting to make a run for it when it hits the fan.

lythande1, Jul 30, 4:43pm
haha. I don't care. More to the point is if he A)Heads towards me at all, many don't approach ladies at all B)is honest - well as much as a used car dealer can be, and knows what he is talking about.

And despite being a lady I do know, so if any BS or such I leave.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 9:13pm
Talking about them 'heading towards you'. that's actually a real piss off for me personally. When I walk into a yard, I don't want to be accosted the minute I enter the premises. I prefer to be left alone to look around, then when/if something takes my fancy and I want further info, or to take the next steps toward possible purchase, I will approach the dealer. I don't want them all over me like flies on shit the whole time, makes me feel too pressured.

2sheddies, Jul 30, 9:18pm
This is so very true mate, and on the flip side, I've known a few people who were dressed in barely more than rags, looked like they didn't have two pennies to rub together, yet later on you find out they're a multi millionaire. I figure that's how they've got to that point. by being so miserly.

bumfacingdown, Jul 30, 11:25pm
A greeting and a "Can I be of help?" is OK especially if they then wander off when the answer is "No thanks, just browsing"

rhys12, Jul 31, 6:01am
You just described my 3rd form maths teacher.

phoenix22, Jul 31, 10:35am
I like to have a look around for a bit before being pounced on, but I don't mind being approached after a few minutes. A good sales person will recognise when someone is interested in a product and would like further assistance. The amount of times I've been standing there, looking around for someone to help, and the sales people are oblivious. Its not just car yards. Seems to be common amongst most retail shops.

onlylv, Jul 31, 10:40am
She probably lived in the statehouse while she was on a benefit and now renting at market value once she started working. Don't judge a book by its cover

inatiz, Jul 31, 2:15pm
Yes, I would prefer this as far better than being ignored completely as experienced by a woman friend who was seriously looking for a car. At the first 2 car sales she was not approached and offered any assistance. At the 3rd she was, and she purchased a near new car from them.

androth2, Jul 31, 2:32pm
I went with my female Indian friend to buy a car,the dealer talked down to her .I told him her government salary was probably at least twice his managers so show some respect as she could easily buy any car.She eventually just paid cash elsewhere

kazbanz, Jul 31, 4:33pm
Maaaate-- For every person like you there's another person that wants -actually INSISTS you give them your undivided attention from the second they set foot in the yard. Purely based on personal experience those people usually state they aren't buying for a few months but want to test drive every car on the yard. I work on the theory I give everybody 3 minutes before approaching them

mharwood, Jul 31, 5:02pm
hawaiian shirt in the summer blue jeans running shoes gold chain gold bracelet rolex golds watch at less two diamond ring big diamond on little finger dark glasses in the sun winter large winter jacket great smile tells great story make it fun but a car o dear that's me only sold then for 50 years
but if you prefer a female my asian wife will look after you she give you the best price she the boss

toenail, Jul 31, 7:51pm
just don't dress like a car salesman and give me the vibe that you're trying to sell me snake oil or timeshares.

2sheddies, Jul 31, 11:58pm
I could probably live with that. As long as the salesman was relaxed and not forceful upon approaching.

As an aside, I wouldn't want your job for quids mate. Not nowadays.

coralsnake, Aug 1, 12:52am
There are some people out there myself included who have no option but to wear 'sport shoes'. Myself I had an accident which resulted in my developing Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy [RSD now called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome].

I would love to wear high heels etc again! It's now 24 years since CRPS set in and I have had a few fights over being allowed to wear sports shoes in employment.
Fortunately this being in the U.S. I was protected under the American with Disabilities Act which made employers allow for accommodations.

henderson_guy, Aug 1, 2:01pm
I just bought a nearly new vehicle for a substantial (to me) amount of money from a franchise dealer.
While I was doing the deal with the salesman, the franchise owner came in wearing red band gumboots, sweatpants with mud on the knees, and a grubby old shirt. Said g'day, shook my hand and carried on.

zirconium, Aug 1, 4:07pm
I don't think i've ever bought or not bought a car depending on what the sales person was wearing. I've certainly bought - or NOT bought - a car depending on whether i thought the salesperson was trustworthy. I'm inclined not to trust people who are overdressed, I think they are trying to rip me off, ha ha. Sports shoes wouldn't worry me at all.