Car Dealer miscommunication. Can I do anything?

Page 2 / 4
charlies4, Jul 20, 1:57pm
Def not an "all guns blazing' kinda girl, def more honey. As for legalities of it all, I am aware not much I can do and wouldn't anyway. One of lifes lessons. My purchase is probably smallfry to them and they've been trading for a long time so obviously have HEAPS of people who've had great experiences. Mine was overall as well except for the negotiating part. That's where it fell over for me

curlcrown, Jul 20, 2:46pm
Strange you should say that, In this post covid environment all the dealers I know have been busier than they have been for some time. Once you've been around for a while you learn that some sales are not worth having and some people are to hard to deal with. Some people should be left to walk away. Each car only needs one buyer and there are millions of them.

lythande1, Jul 20, 2:58pm
They quoted $450, you were happy with that. They did not say what the retail value was and no doubt charged you labour too.
Tyres, well you can ask for new tyres but not dictate brand etc of them.
Put your concerns in writing, get a response and if you are not happy, take it to MVD disputes. No guarantee you'll win that though.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 3:06pm
I can tell you 100% there is NO case to answer at MVDT . The dealer did nothing illegal or dodgy.

franc123, Jul 20, 3:18pm
You still seem to think you have been sold something inferior. On what basis?

kazbanz, Jul 20, 3:35pm
Charlies 4 --I will try again to explain this for you.--I really do want to help you here.
First of all the deal is done. It is legal. It is binding. There is no way to get out of it. Unfortunately you make a couple of assumptions that were not correct. So to go forwards from here I feel you need to dip into your pocket.
Im GUESSING here that the car you purchased was a fresh import needing a compliance inspection.
The tyres fitted to your new car are required by law to meet certain safety standards. -Ie have the standards mark on them or the WOF would not be issued. So they are not unsafe tyres.
But if you are not happy with the perceived quality then Talk to the dealer and tell them that. Given the tyres on the car are only a few km old the dealer will be able to use them on another vehicle and have the tyres you want fitted but you will need to contribute.
Radio wise. A decent radio with reverse camera fitted in the vehicle is going to be about $600-$900 depending on the cost of fitting it into the vehicle it goes into. You can't use an advertised special price as a point of reference post purchase. its exactly that. A SPECIAL discounted price.
The RRP is the point of reference.
Also I have to repeat -without knowing the year/make/model there is no way of knowing what was required to fit the radio into the vehicle.- And YES I do know EXACTLY whats involved in fitting a radio to most jap imports :-)
This one you could push the point on a bit though if the vehicle was already fitted with reverse camera when you test drove it.
The words I would use would be. "I asked for a NZ radio THE SAME as was fitted when I drove the vehicle" "the one it had when I drove the car came with a reversing camera"

charlies4, Jul 20, 3:53pm
Hi Kazbanz, Yeah I def understand the deal is done and its just something I will wear.
Buyer Beware. They meant no malice. Just doing their job. Just hacked off at myself really. I'll just keep reversing old school and upgrade tyres to what I want when they need next alignment. To be fair, back in the day I drove much unsafer cars. It's just the last 5 years when I've really grown up and been concerned about tyre safety and only driving Warrantable cars. Thanks for all your advice and input, I'll keep in mind next time all the tips you and others have given and how to ask right questions to ensure I'm clear on what I'm being offered.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 4:05pm
SO what6 did you buy?

sw20, Jul 20, 4:17pm
I'd actually be bloody annoyed that I purchased with a reverse camera, now can't use the camera because the dealer wanted to save a couple of dollars and didn't spell out that the new radio wouldn't have it.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 4:22pm
Why?--the customer said they wanted a kiwi radio. Nowhere at any point had the OP said they specified they wanted a reverse camera. That's a fairly big omission.

sw20, Jul 20, 4:39pm
That reply sounds like someone I used to know at NZ Post. Customer came in wanting to only register their car for one month. They had the wrong form. Counter staff said couldn't do it. Counter staff should have advised them to grab the other form, but chose not to.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 4:58pm
Not at all the same. If you want to use the same analogy. Customer only said "I want to register my car" The counter staff with the customer filled out the generic rego form. The customer reads and signs the form. Customer takes the rego label home then discovers its for a different time period than they thought it was being registered for.
I must say based on personal experience that I now explain exactly what I'm doing both verbally and in black and white on the VOSA so there can't be any doubt as to exactly what is happening.

charlies4, Jul 20, 6:51pm
I can't tell you, you advised against it hahahahaha. ( But in my defense it's been awesome the last 2 days I've driven it)

ksam, Jul 20, 7:28pm
Ahh, go on, we're all itching to know

tgray, Jul 20, 7:59pm
Waiting. what's the big secret?

charlies4, Jul 20, 8:53pm
I bought a Juke (goes into foetal position to brace for all the jibes I'm gonna get)

tgray, Jul 20, 9:22pm
They are decent cars. Looks are subjective, but I personally like them.

3tomany, Jul 20, 9:28pm
This is why jap imports are such a bad buy these days. In the early days you bought a jap import because the technology was way better, but the poles have flipped on this now and NZ new cars are far better equipped.

cjohnw, Jul 20, 10:19pm
I would wholeheartedly agree with that statement.
Why put yourself through all this crap when for comparable money you can buy a NZ new second-hand vehicle.
I would never buy a jap import again.

kazbanz, Jul 21, 9:51am
Sorry dude but Im not in any way making the connection.
First the tyres.-if it was a kiwi new car of same age /miles on the clock it would be fairly unlikely that cracking in the tread would have been noticed at WOF time. Its the fact that there's a tough compliance/border inspection needed that meant replacement tyres were fitted.
The issue with the radio hasn't changed in 30 years (or more)
You don't know what radio would have been in the vehicle if it was kiwi new. Might have easily been a basic radio/cassette single DIN unit.
The Op now has a new kiwi radio in her car.

kazbanz, Jul 21, 10:02am
Ok so in that case radio was ( sticking with RRP) $250 and its a $100 fit
Im pretty sure you can't get the really cheap tyres for a Juke so they will be Korean most likely.
I would STRONGLY recommend having the transmission serviced if the vehicle has done over 55000km
To clarify.--I just feel they are bad bang for buck compared to other vehicles out there,.

charlies4, Jul 21, 11:25am
Thanks,I'll keep that in mind when get to the $55k mark. As for radio, yeah I gave sale price as I know they would only pay cost for it and it was at another place l looked up Non sale for $230 so I've learnt my lesson there as well. Next time I'll just buy car bargaining to get right price and factor in the things I want done and do after I've taken car.

marmar1, Jul 21, 12:10pm
Ladies at work NZ new Duke transmission died at 44k, she had it for 4 yrs, nissian quote $ 8900 got it done for $3800 somewhere else.

3tomany, Jul 21, 2:33pm
The connection is the GPS and many other things often will not work. Selling a car with items that do not work is not a cool thing to do.

sw20, Jul 21, 3:04pm
Yep. My late father searched for a NZ New Lexus IS250 Ltd because the spec destroys what is available Ex Japan and you don't have to put up with a useless Jap nav screen and Japanese climate control buttons.